Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Spokesman: KNLF set to register as legitimate party later this month



Spokesman: KNLF set to register as legitimate party later this month

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Khmer National Liberation Front (KNLF) founder Sam Serey.

Spokesman: KNLF set to register as legitimate party later this month

The Khmer National Liberation Front (KNLF) – a group claiming to be Cambodia’s “government in exile”, led by Sam Serey – is set to register as a legitimate political party later this month, after its members collected more than 5,000 thumbprints, its spokesman Thuy Vy said on Tuesday.

The thumbprints collection came after the government announced it welcomed the KNLF registering as a new party, with Council of Ministers spokesman Phay Siphan last month saying he believed it was the “right thing”.

“We officially decided earlier last year that next week, the KNLF will submit the collected documents and about 5,000 thumbprints for the party’s registration to the Ministry of Interior,” he said.

Vy said the collected thumbprints have been sourced from people of various provinces in Cambodia and Thailand. His party has complied with the Kingdom’s Constitution, he continued.

“I hope the ministry would consider national interests as a primary matter. According to the Constitution, all Cambodians have rights to engage in politics,” he said.

Vy was arrested in Phnom Penh in May 2017 after attempting to arrange a press conference calling on the government to release political prisoners and pardon KNLF leader, Sam Serey, who was subsequently sentenced to 18 months imprisonment on incitement charges.

Upon his release on November 20 last year, he was appointed KNLF spokesman, publicly stating his intention to register the group as an official political party.

Ministry of Interior spokesman Khieu Sopheak could not be reached for comment, but he said last month that the government body “would not oppose the move if it met the requirements of the Law on Political Parties”.

KNLF president Sam Serey made headlines last month after he announced he would “halt activities” and return to Cambodia if certain conditions were met, including pardons leading to the release of all KNLF members in the Kingdom’s jails.

Serey was sentenced in absentia to nine years in prison in 2014 for allegedly “plotting” an attempt to overthrow the government and has been labelled a “terrorist mastermind”.

His “government in exile” reportedly consists of 56 members. He was granted political asylum by Denmark in 2011.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting