Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Supreme Court rejects bail for former CNRP deputy commune chief

Supreme Court rejects bail for former CNRP deputy commune chief

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Former Poipet Commune Chief Chao Veasna appears at the Supreme Court on 2017. Post staff

Supreme Court rejects bail for former CNRP deputy commune chief

The Supreme Court on Wednesday denied a bail request from a former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) deputy commune chief who was last year sentenced to five years in prison following a protest in front of the Poipet Customs Department building in Banteay Meanchey province in 2015.

Presiding Judge Soeng Panhavuth read the court’s verdict in front of the defendant, Chao Veasna, also known as Veng, at the close of the trial. He had earlier listened to submissions from Veasna and his defence lawyer Chuong Choungy.

Panhavuth denied 55-year-old Veasna’s request to be released on bail, upholding a previous verdict by the Appeal Court.

“The verdict of the Supreme Court was made because questions of law, in this case, are still under review by the Supreme Court, so the defendant is not allowed to be released on bail because he needs to be involved in further court proceedings,” Panhavuth said.

After the verdict had been delivered, defence lawyer Choungy told The Post on Wednesday that he was disappointed because Veasna’s request for bail was reasonable.

“In Chao Veasna’s case, the facts of the case are still being reviewed by the Supreme Court – the case is not concluded yet. Even if the Supreme Court finds my client guilty, it’s not too late,” he added.

At Wednesday’s hearing, Choungy told the court that his client needed to be released on bail because he was unwell. He said Veasna had blood poisoning and liver problems, and in the past, he had suffered from appendicitis.

“He has a permanent house and a job. He would not run away,” he continued.

A court report on May 25, 2015, said Veasna joined a group of porters who staged a protest in front of the Poipet Customs Department building.

The porters demanded that officers at the Poipet border checkpoint stop demanding 70 baht ($2.24) for each cart. They also called for a face-to-face meeting with the department’s officials.

At around 10am, some porters started overturning their carts, blocking the road and burning car tyres.

The protest continued until noon, when a group of porters stormed into the customs building, destroying public property and setting six vehicles belonging to customs officials on fire.

Veasna was not arrested until February 2017, more than a year and a half after the incident. He had said he was targeted for arrest as he was running in last year’s commune elections.

On June 7, 2018, Veasna and seven others were sentenced by Banteay Meanchey Provincial Court to five years in prison for incitement and collusion in damaging state property.

Veasna filed a complaint to the Appeal Court but on October 19, 2018, the court upheld the provincial court’s verdict. Veasna then filed an appeal to the Supreme Court.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia unveils new quarantine regulations

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Cambodia sets new Covid-19 quarantine rules

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Hun Sen: Cambodia set to fully reopen

    Prime Minister Hun Sen concludes that the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, during which many people either flocked to their hometowns for family reunion or gathered at tourist attractions across the country, has not caused an outbreak of Covid-19. In a special address to

  • Will Evergrande change the way Chinese developers do business in Cambodia?

    China’s property sector policy has exposed the grim financial condition of real estate developers including those operating in Cambodia, which raises questions over the viability of their projects and business going forward The dark blue netting draping over one of Yuetai Group Co Ltd’

  • Cambodia resumes issuance of tourist visas

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation has announced the resumption of its tourist visa and visa exemption programme after a long hiatus due to the Covid-19 pandemic. In a letter dated October 20 and addressed to foreign embassies and consulates, foreign minister Prak Sokhonn

  • S’ville set to turn into ‘second Shenzhen’

    The Ministry of Economy and Finance has awarded a master plan consultancy contract to top Chinese institute for the development and transformation of Preah Sihanouk province into a “Model Multi-Purpose Special Economic Zone”, Southeast Asia’s next logistics and resort hub and innovation centre. The