Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘No crime’ by Frenchman, judge decides

‘No crime’ by Frenchman, judge decides

‘No crime’ by Frenchman, judge decides

CONVICTED French paedophile Jean Marie Beranger was found not guilty yesterday of crimes allegedly committed last September against a 13-year-old boy in Preah Sihanouk province, court officials said, outraging the child protection NGO Action Pour Les Enfants.

Presiding judge Plang Samnang said yesterday that there had been a lack of evidence in the case against Beranger, who had been charged with committing indecent acts and was facing three to six years in prison.

“We decided to find him not guilty based on reports from the provincial police chief that there was a lack of sufficient evidence,” he said.

Inconsistencies in the testimonies of witnesses who were counselled by APLE, he said, also contributed to the court’s ruling.

On the night in question, he said, the street where the crimes allegedly occurred would have been heavily lit, meaning witness accounts should have been the same.

“On that night at around 9pm it was light, and the streetlights were turned on,” he said. “Many people walked on the street, and if the victim’s mouth was shut up and his trousers were taken off, he must have screamed, so there is no crime.”

Samleang Seila, country director for APLE, vowed to fight the court’s decision, describing Beranger as a chronic offender. In June, Kampot provincial court convicted Beranger of committing indecent acts against two underage boys and sentenced him to one year in prison.

“We are very disappointed with Preah Sihanouk provincial court’s decision to lift the charges against the accused because we firmly believe the accused really did commit the alleged crimes, based on the facts heard in the victim’s firm testimony,” Samleang Seila said.

Beranger was not present at yesterday’s hearing because he was serving out his sentence in Kampot. His lawyer, Khun Sophal, said he approved of the court’s ruling.

“We are happy with the court’s decision, which is right and just for my client based on insufficient evidence,” Khun Sophal said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong