Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘We are going ahead’: CNRP

‘We are going ahead’: CNRP

Thousands of CNRP supporters fill Phnom Penh’s Freedom Park during a three-day demonstration in the capital last month
Thousands of CNRP supporters fill Phnom Penh’s Freedom Park during a three-day demonstration in the capital last month. Pha Lina

‘We are going ahead’: CNRP

Whether the opposition’s upcoming three-day demonstration will be allowed to go ahead as planned remained in limbo as of yesterday evening, with City Hall leaving the decision up to the Ministry of Interior after the parties held a fruitless meeting.

The “sticking points”, according to CNRP public affairs head Mu Sochua, are the number of demonstrators and whether they will be able to march and stay at Freedom Park overnight.

“These three points will now go back to the Ministry of Interior for them to decide. [But] no matter what they decide, we are going ahead anyway,” Sochua said.

The party is expecting tens of thousands to march to the local UN human rights office to deliver a petition on Wednesday.

Subsequent marches to embassies representing signatories to the 1991 Paris Peace Accords are planned for Thursday and Friday.

Phnom Penh city officials, local districts, police and military police held three-hour talks with the opposition yesterday, City Hall spokesman Long Dimanche said.

He added that authorities were not able to approve the demonstration because the CNRP asked permission for between 20,000 and 40,000 people to gather and march.

“City Hall has allowed only 10,000 for the rally at Freedom Park, but we will not allow them to march or stay overnight,” Dimanche said.

“We have already sent a letter to the Ministry of Interior and [it] will make the final decision about marching and staying overnight.”

National Police spokesman Kirth Chantharith and Interior Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak could not be reached for comment.

Sochua was forthright in her response as to whether problems could arise if the party disobeyed authorities.

“Why should we worry about a crackdown? We are exercising our rights to assembly and expression of speech.”

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY KEVIN PONNIAH

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • EU timber deal in firing line

    A committee of more than 20 national and international organisations filed a petition to the EU on October 10 to prevent it from signing a timber trade agreement with Vietnam, noting that the deal would be disastrous to the Kingdom’s forests. The petition claims Vietnamese timber

  • Kim Sok to keep up fight ‘for change’ from Finland

    Kim Sok, wanted by the Kingdom’s authorities for defaming the government, reiterated on Sunday his determination to continue helping to make “a real change” to Cambodian politics after receiving asylum in Finland, even as a government spokesman mocked the political analyst over the development.

  • PM: Programme to recover Vietnam War missing back on

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced the resumption of the MIA programme to recover the remains of American service personnel missing after action on Cambodian soil during the Vietnam War. The programme was suspended for more than a year after the US government imposed visa