Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - 24 escape from notorious Prey Speu detention centre




24 escape from notorious Prey Speu detention centre

Mom Chandany, director of the Phnom Penh Department of Social Affairs, speaks about last night's escape of 24 men from Prey Speu detention centre.
Mom Chandany, director of the Phnom Penh Department of Social Affairs, speaks about last night's escape of 24 men from Prey Speu detention centre. Heng Chivoan

24 escape from notorious Prey Speu detention centre

Twenty-four men fled the notorious Prey Speu detention centre last night after the main gate was left unlocked, an official said today.

Three of the escapees returned voluntarily today, said Mom Chandany, director of the Phnom Penh Department of Social Affairs. The others, whom she identified as mostly drug users and beggars, remained at large.

Prey Speu, known for its severe overcrowding, does not have guards at night, and officials believe the men fled about 8pm. Officials discovered they were missing during a morning check of the room in which they all were housed, Chandany said.

Centre officials then went to inquire with nearby villagers and learned they had seen a group of men whom they didn’t recognise in the village late last night.

Chandany said she had informed Choam Chao II commune police about the escape, but it would be up to authorities to search for and return the detainees. “I don’t have the right to arrest them to bring them to the center again,” she said.

Last month, the centre was holding 500 people, Chandany said. It was built to house less than half that many.

Updates to follow.

Correction: A previous version of this article said the detainees were believed to escape at 11pm. It was actually around 8pm. The article also said Por Sen Chey district police were notified when in fact it was the Choam Chao II commune police who were alerted.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.