Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - 40 hectares razed in R’kiri

40 hectares razed in R’kiri

40 hectares razed in R’kiri

3 bulldozers ratanakkiri

More than 40 hectares of protected forest in Rattanakiri’s O’Yadav district was razed by a Vietnamese company over the course of six days before they were stopped yesterday by villagers and investigators from rights group Adhoc, a local official said.

Sav Hlin, a village chief in the district, said he had received news from villagers that the company – known to them as Company 72 – had been working in the area.

“After I found out they were clearing the forest, we went straight there to stop the vehicles immediately,” said Hlin, who added that more than 40 hectares of the forest land had been cleared by the time he got there with a group of villagers and two Adhoc investigators.

The forest lies adjacent to a 6,000 hectare economic land concession awarded to Men Sarun Company for a rubber plantation, said Adhoc senior investigator Pen Bonnar.

Company 72 had been sub-contracted by Men Sarun Company to clear the land and prepare it for planting.

Phan Phoeun, deputy chief of the provincial Forestry Administration, confirmed that the forest had been cut out from the ELC and set aside for the community.

This is not the first time Company 72 has been in the news for clearing protected forest. The company was summonsed by the Ratanakkiri Provincial Court to face accusations of illegal logging in February.

But their latest actions have led to additional destruction of the forest by villagers, who are also taking their axes to the trees in the belief that if they did not cut them down for their own use, the trees would be cleared by the company anyway, Bonnar said.

The company has also reportedly told villagers in the past to stop protesting and urged them to instead come work on the company’s rubber plantations.

“[Company 72’s actions] stand in opposition to government policy, which does not allow protected forest to be cleared,” said Bonnar, adding that Adhoc would report the case to the government for legal action to be taken.

The Men Sarun Company couldnot be reached for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman