Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - AC upholds sentence of man who raped daughter



AC upholds sentence of man who raped daughter

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Appeal Court on Thursday upheld the provincial court’s 10-year sentence handed to Nuon Ratha (centre) for raping his daughter in Tbong Khmum province in 2017. Photo supplied

AC upholds sentence of man who raped daughter

The Appeal Court on Thursday upheld the provincial court’s 10-year sentence meted out on Nuon Ratha for raping his daughter in Tbong Khmum province in 2017.

Judge Nguon Ratana said: “The appeal court will uphold the decision of the Tboung Khmum Provincial Court and has decided to keep the suspect in prison.

“If the suspect is not satisfied, you have one month to file an appeal as permitted by law,” Judge Ratana said.

Ratha had admitted to the crime at his appeal hearing on October 7.

He pleaded guilty and asked the Appeal Court to reduce his sentence to five years in prison.

According to the court report, Ratha, 38, was divorced and remarried another woman. His 14-year-old daughter had been staying with them.

Not being close to her stepmother, the girl regularly went to sleep with her father.

He raped her on three occasions in September 2017 and threatened the victim into remaining silent.

However, Ratha regularly beat his wife and daughter. The victim could not endure the abuse and told her stepmother to file a complaint to the commune police, which arrested him.

The Tbong Khmum Provincial Court on April 11 last year found Ratha guilty of “rape with aggravating circumstances due to the position of the perpetrator” under Article 240 of the Criminal Code and sentenced him to 10 years in prison.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said