Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Accused brokers may face prison for sex trafficking

Accused brokers may face prison for sex trafficking

Accused brokers may face prison for sex trafficking

Three alleged human traffickers were sent to Svay Rieng Provincial Court last Thursday based on complaints submitted earlier this month by Sar Sokheng, 24, and Mom Mara, 32, said anti-human trafficking police chief Neth Sareun.

More than 30 other women remain in Malaysia as sex workers in massage shops after being deceived by the suspects’ promises of beauty salon jobs in Kuala Lumpur, the women alleged.

The suspects, Neang Ham, 65, his wife, Nouv Yoeu, 62, and Pav Samphors, 25, face charges of illegal recruitment and human trafficking for purposes of sexual exploitation, Sareun said.

“If found guilty, they will face sentences of seven to 15 years in prison,” he added.

The victims each paid the brokers at least $500 to be set up in Malaysian beauty salons in January, Sareun said, and their families had to pay the massage shops where they were actually sent $700 each for their return to Cambodia this month.  

“In order to rescue the other victims, I have reported this case to my superiors in the Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Department,” Sareun said.

Ya Navuth, executive director of the NGO Caram, which often helps repatriate workers from Malaysia, said his organisation had not yet received any requests for assistance relating to the case.

To contact the reporter on this story: Buth Reaksmey Kongkea at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police