Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Accused in jetski fatality posts bail



Accused in jetski fatality posts bail

Accused in jetski fatality posts bail

A SOUTH African national accused of involuntary manslaughter following a jetski accident last month has been released on bail, court officials have confirmed.

Andre Bester, 27, was released Monday, Preah Sihanouk provincial Investigating Judge Ly Sokha said Wednesday.

He wouldn’t confirm the conditions of Bester’s release. However, a South Africa-based newspaper previously reported that Bester was ordered not to leave Cambodia until he is cleared of charges in connection with the death of his friend, Paul Hutchins.

Bester was arrested after Hutchins died September 18 when the two friends were riding jetskis off the coast of Sihanoukville.

“[Bester] collided with his friend because there was a big wave and he was unable to see where he was going,” provincial police Deputy Chief Seang Kosal told the Post last week.

If convicted of involuntary manslaughter, Bester faces a sentence of up to three years in prison.

The South African newspaper quoted Bester’s sibling, Bryan, as saying that his brother was “doing OK”.

“My brother is traumatised by this unnecessary experience, but my Dad says he is feeling much better since his release,” Bryan Bester was quoted as saying in The Times of Johannesburg.

The regional South African embassy based in Bangkok last week requested that Cambodia provide official details of the charge against Bester.

A spokesperson in the office of the South African ambassador told the Post this week that Cambodian officials had yet to respond to the request.

MOST VIEWED

  • Without shoes or a helmet, a young cyclist steals the show

    Pech Theara gripped the curved handlebars of his rusty old bike, planted his bare feet on its pedals and stormed as fast as he could towards the finish line. The odds were against him as the 13-year-old faced off against kids with nicer bikes at

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway on schedule

    The construction of the more than $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway has not been delayed despite the Covid-19 pandemic, with more than 26 per cent of the project completed and expected to finish in about two years, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of

  • Over 110 garment factories close

    A government official said on November 22 that at least 110 garment factories had closed in the first nine months of the year and left more than 55,000 workers without jobs – but union leaders worry those numbers could be much higher. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training undersecretary

  • Singapore group seeks $14M in damages from PPSP over ‘breach of contract’

    Singapore-based Asiatic Group (Holdings) Ltd is seeking a minimum of $14.4 million relief from Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX)-listed Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone Plc (PPSP) for allegedly breaching a power plant joint venture (JV) agreement. Asiatic Group’s wholly-owned Colben System Pte Ltd and 95 per

  • PM vows to protect Hun family

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has vowed to continue his fight against opposition politicians who he said intend to smash the Hun family. Without naming the politicians but apparently referring to former leaders of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), Hun Sen said there

  • Cambodia lauded for fight against Covid-19

    Cambodia has drawn global accolades for its handling of the Covid-19 pandemic, with a new report finding that the Kingdom has controlled the pandemic better than any other country in Asia. Dr Takeshi Kasai, director of the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) Western Pacific region,