Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Accused secessionists to testify

Accused secessionists to testify

Accused secessionists to testify

120702_03
People are evicted from Pro Ma village, in Kratie province’s Chhlong district, in May. Photograph: Heng Chivoan/Phnom Penh Post

Two more of the five accused secessionists from Kratie province’s Pro Ma village turned themselves in on Friday, Ministry of Interior officials said, just days after Hun Sen declared that he would drop charges against them if they testified against the plot’s masterminds.

Warrants for the five were issued after hundreds of police and military police officers evicted some 200 families from Pro Ma village, shooting a 14-year-old girl dead in the process – an operation the government described as an attempt to put down a “secessionist plot” allegedly led by Bun Ratha.

Ratha and others have repeatedly denied any such plot, saying they were just applying for land titles, and the government has since claimed that Ratha and the others were taking orders from someone else.

General Khieu Sopheak, a spokesman for the Ministry of Interior, said that the two latest villagers – whom he refused to identify for safety reasons – had admitted that they had received orders from others.

“We let them go back to their [homes] after they confessed,” he said. “They will testify in court.”

One alleged accomplice turned himself in on June 26, and the only two to remain on the run are Bun Ratha and his father, Bun Chhorn.

Chan Soveth, a senior investigator for rights group Adhoc, called the government’s decision to grant immunity in exchange for testimony a ploy to silence an opposition radio broadcaster that it accuses of masterminding the alleged plot.

“Forcing these confessions by taking the villagers to be witnesses is how the pressure is applied on Mam Samnangdo, president of FM 105 radio,” whom the government accuses of leading the alleged secessionist group Democratic Association, he said.

Am Sam Ath, a senior investigator for human rights group Licadho, said that he wondered what the villagers were confessing to if they were actually innocent, and that the matter was best left to the courts.

Twenty-five-year-old Bun Sithet, the younger brother of Bun Ratha, said that accused secessionist Khat Saroeun told him that he had implicated Ratha in his confession. Nevertheless, Ratha and his father would not confess to a crime they denied committing.

“My brother will come back to the village if the prime minister says he is not guilty,” he said.

To contact the reporter on this story: May Titthara at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen to ‘step down’ if he loses Sam Rainsy bet over Kem Sokha

    Hun Sen has promised to step down as prime minister while opposition figure Sam Rainsy pledges to turn himself in as forfeits if the long-term political rivals lose a “bet” over the future of former opposition leader Kem Sokha, who is on bail awaiting trial

  • UAE prince seeks to invest in Cambodia

    The UAE has expressed interest in Cambodian oil and gas exploration. Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem said this was the result of his discussions with Sheikh Ahmed bin Dalmook bin Juma al-Maktoum, a member of the royal family who visited him on Wednesday.

  • Smith calls for ‘release’ of Sokha as visit ends

    At a press conference to conclude her 11-day visit to Cambodia, UN Special Rapporteur for Human Rights in Cambodia Rhona Smith on Thursday called for treason charges against former opposition leader Kem Sokha to be dropped and for him to be released from “restricted detention”.

  • PM denies ‘nepotism’ claims

    Prime minister Hun Sen denied on Thursday that nepotism was involved in the recent promotions of the children of senior government officials. He said they had been “trained” and were entirely capable of carrying out their duties while being open to “punishment” like anyone else.