Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Accused stays silent as murder case continues

Accused stays silent as murder case continues

Accused stays silent as murder case continues

The Belgian national charged with the murder of a French woman found dead in Kampot in February, as well as a witness in the case, appeared at the Kampot provincial court yesterday for questioning, investigating judge Hong Sokhun Vattana said yesterday.

Belgian national Oliver Van Den Bogaert in the Kampot provincial police station following his arrest in Kampot province
Belgian national Oliver Van Den Bogaert in the Kampot provincial police station following his arrest in Kampot province in April. PHOTO SUPPLIED

Vattana said the witness, whose identity has remained confidential because she is under-age, yesterday confirmed she had seen suspect Oliver Van Den Bogaert walking a bike she believed to have earlier seen victim Ophélie Begnis riding on the day of her death – recollections that had prompted police to arrest Van Den Bogaert in April.

Begnis was found dead, floating naked in the Kampot estuary with injuries to her head and arms, after she and her friend had been staying at the Les Manguiers guesthouse.

Van Den Bogart’s lawyer, Khun Sophal, yesterday confirmed that his client also had appeared at the court for questioning but said Van Den Bogaert had remained silent.

“My client did not respond to anything in the hearing,” he said.

Sophal added that the witness had not convincingly showed Van Den Bogaert’s guilt, denying that she had any proof.

He said that six or seven witnesses, on the other hand, had solid proof of his client’s innocence.

Vattana said the court had now questioned about half of the more than 10 witnesses it intends to call in the case, adding that there was no set time in which the rest would be called to answer the court.

“The court wants strong evidence on both sides, so the court takes a long time in this case, because there are more than 10 witnesses,” he said.

“We have questioned the suspect and witnesses and heard some evidence that seems incriminating and some that seems exculpatory,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • Huge 3.5-tonne ivory haul seized in capital

    Working with US officials, Phnom Penh Autonomous Port has uncovered almost 3.5 tonnes of elephant ivory hidden in a container, the US Embassy in Cambodia said on Facebook on Saturday. A tip-off provided to the General Department of Customs and Excise by a US Fish and

  • Cambodia’s Miss Universe contestant to return home

    Twenty-three-year-old Rern Sinat from Kampong Cham province, only the second Miss Cambodia to compete in the Miss Universe beauty pageant, is said to be “a little disappointed but in good spirits” after not ranking in the 2018 Miss Universe contest in Bangkok, Thailand. “The weakest part

  • Assembly passes amendment to Political Party Law Article 45

    The National Assembly on Thursday unanimously approved a proposed amendment to Article 45 of the Law on Political Parties in a move that could pave the way for former senior opposition leaders banned for five years to return to the political stage. As expected, the 115 ruling