Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Activist denies coup call, says video an appeal for peaceful democracy

Activist denies coup call, says video an appeal for peaceful democracy

An undated photo uploaded to a Facebook by Som Vichea yesterday after he called for a coup in the Kingdom earlier this week. Facebook
An undated photo uploaded to a Facebook by Som Vichea yesterday after he called for a coup in the Kingdom earlier this week. Facebook

Activist denies coup call, says video an appeal for peaceful democracy

A former soldier being hunted by the military for calling on security forces to be ready to move against the government said yesterday that he was not calling for a coup, but wanted people to “stand up” against Cambodia leaders by peaceful means.

In a video posted online on July 17, Som Sovanara called on military forces to be ready to “go against the authoritarian leadership of the CPP, Hun Sen and Yuon communists”, using a word for the Vietnamese some consider derogatory.

However, speaking via telephone yesterday from Canada, where he received asylum after fleeing Cambodia in 2013, Som Sovanara slammed what he called the country’s “dictatorship” but insisted he didn’t advocate violence.

“My video clip does not mean I called for a coup or want a coup, but I want the country to have real democracy and peace,” Sovanara said, adding he was not in touch with any current military personnel.

The activist, who is also a member of the Denmark-based Khmer National Liberation Front, said he previously belonged to the Royal Cambodian Armed Force’s Intervention Division Three, a mobile force based in Preah Vihear that is sponsored by the prime minister’s cabinet and commanded by Lieutenant General Srey Deuk.

After serving in the military between 2007 and 2010, Sovanara said he fled the country in 2013 after receiving “threats and intimidation”.

“After I realized my life was at stake, I escaped through the refugee asylum of the UN. I knew many military officials and they are not happy with the government,” he said.

Lieutenant General Srey Deuk Commander of the division declined to comment yesterday, saying he was in a meeting. RCAF infantry spokesman Mao Phalla referred questions to Defense Ministry spokesman Chhum Socheat, who was unreachable yesterday but on Wednesday said the man had been identified and the military was investigating.

Yesterday, president of the KNLF Sam Serey reiterated the previous statement by the party – which has been branded a “terrorist” group by the government – saying Sovanara was free to express his views.

“The KNLF is an advocacy group which has been officially registered in Denmark and we have been working peacefully according to international law, the Paris Peace Agreement and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights,” said Serey, who claimed the KNLF has 6,000 members in Cambodia.

“Therefore, Sovanara ex-pressed his personal opinion on the situation in Cambodia and called for support from Khmer people. He has the right to do that.”

In 2014, 13 people involved with Khmer National Liberation Front were sentenced to between seven and eight years in jail for an alleged plot to overthrow the government. However, six of the suspects, including Serey, were tried in absentia.

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Two French tourists latest Covid-19 cases in Kingdom

    The Kingdom on Saturday saw two more cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the total to 53. While the majority of the previous cases are linked to a Muslim religious gathering in Malaysia, the latest cases involved two French tourists visiting Sihanoukville. The Ministry of Health said

  • Kingdom’s virus toll tops 84, Cambodians in Thailand rush home

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and its highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • CEO held for fraud in Siem Reap

    Over 200 individuals gathered in front of the Siem Reap Provincial Court last week to ask that Dim Suonnath, the CEO of a real estate company being held for fraud, take responsibility for compensating some 2,000 residents who invested with him. The request was denied. Suonnath responded

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for