Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Activist ‘threatened’ for tip over land clearing



Activist ‘threatened’ for tip over land clearing

A bulldozer was seized for clearing protected forest land on Saturday in Stung Treng province. Photo supplied
A bulldozer was seized for clearing protected forest land on Saturday in Stung Treng province. Photo supplied

Activist ‘threatened’ for tip over land clearing

An ethnic Kuoy activist in Stung Treng province says his life was threatened after he tipped authorities off to an alleged land grab on Saturday involving two suspects who remain at large.

On Saturday, Thala Barivat District Police responded to a tip from local activist Uk Mao, 53, and stopped an area landowner and a bulldozer driver as they allegedly cleared more than 1 hectare of protected forest in Sam Ang commune.

According to provincial Agriculture Department Director Lieng Seng, the raid only resulted in the seizure of the bulldozer, as the suspects had already fled.

The provincial Forestry Administration director, Meas Sophum, said his office was pursuing the case, without giving further details.

Mao said he received a threatening phone call on Saturday evening. “You will be beheaded soon,” the caller allegedly told him. “How dare you report to the authorities? . . . I know your house,” Mao recalled the anonymous caller saying.

“They were furious with me because I tipped off the authorities to halt and seize the machinery,” he said, explaining that the accused clearer is a large-scale local landowner. Fearing for his safety, Mao said he requested the intervention of the commune police and rights group Adhoc.

This is not the first time Mao said he had received threats for bringing attention to land grabs. In January, he reported being threatened with prosecution for defamation by commune authorities after he notified them that state and community land was being cleared and sold off.

Thala Barivat District Governor Thong Srorn said he was unaware of the threats against Mao.

“Clearing is illegal and they came in an anarchic way,” said Srorn. “After receiving the information, we just implemented the law to arrest [the suspects],” adding that authorities continued to search for the two men.

Hou Sam Ol, Adhoc’s Stung Treng provincial coordinator, called on higher authorities to investigate the case.

“It is like timber hauling cases – mostly only the evidence is seized while the criminals and drivers are rarely captured,” he said, adding that Mao should be protected by local police.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Woman seeks answers after arrest of American partner

    Filipina Lalaine de Guzman, 48, is demanding answers for the detention of her American partner by Cambodian immigration officers after he was arrested at their home almost 90 days ago. She said without an arrest warrant or proffering any criminal charges, Stephen Sidney Greatsinger, 56, is being detained

  • ‘No chance Cambodia booted out of ASEAN’

    A group of former and current Cambodian diplomats on Tuesday fired back at retired Singaporean diplomat Bihalari Kausikan after he proposed that ASEAN dismiss Cambodia and Laos from the bloc. In an open letter, the Cambodian diplomats said Kausikan’s remarks were made from a

  • Phnom Penh underpass opens to ease traffic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced a temporary opening of the 488m underpass at the Chaom Chao roundabout in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district, which was recently completed to connect traffic from National Road 4 to Russian Federation Blvd. The move is to reduce

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital