Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Actor Ngor urges overseas help

Actor Ngor urges overseas help

Actor Ngor urges overseas help

"KILLING Fields" actor Dr Haing Ngor supported the Royal Government's move to

outlaw the Khmer Rouge and called on the international community to further

isolate the KR.

Dr Ngor said the Royal Government and international

community should no longer try to give the KR an opportunity to take part in a

government of national reconciliation.

He said the KR had the

opportunity to take part in a democratic election and refused, and instead

talked about and made war.

He asked: "Why has the international

community ignored Cambodian suffering and let the Khmer Rouge talk so much and

be involved in the peace process?"

"Never before in history has a

genocidal group been allowed to take part in elections. The international

community and Royal Government must understand about them. Their attitude has

not changed."

Dr Ngor, whose family was killed during the Pol Pot period

in power, said: " When communists say something please don't believe it. And

when communists do things please be careful for your life."

Dr Ngor

supported the Royal Government's move to outlaw the KR and also supported the US

initiative to set up an office to investigate human rights violations during the

Pol Pot regime.

Dr Ngor said it was crucial to cut off all economic,

political and military supplies to the KR to isolate them. He added that the

international community must pressure Thailand to cut off all links with the KR

who were the major obstacle to the Royal Government ending the civil war.

Earlier it was reported that Dr Ngor was seeking funding from the Royal

Government to make a sequel to "The Killing Fields" called "The Man from Year

Zero".

Shooting is to begin early next year on location in Siem Riep.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Stop Russia sanctions

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said sanctions against Russia as a result of its military offensive in Ukraine should be stopped as they have produced no tangible results, and predicted that a global food crisis would ensue in 2023 as a consequence. Speaking to an audience at

  • Chinese tourists 2.0 – Coming anytime soon?

    Regional tourism is grappling with the absence of the prolific travellers and big spenders – the Chinese tourists. Cambodia, which has welcomed over two million Chinese tourists before Covid-19, is reeling from the economic loss despite being the first to fully open last November ‘To put

  • PM reflects on shoe throwing: Free speech or act of violence?

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 17 questioned whether a man who threw a shoe at him while he was in the US was exercising freedom of expression or if it was an act of hostility. Hun Sen was referring to an incident last week when

  • Siem Reap’s Angkor Botanical Garden opens

    The Angkor Botanical Garden was officially opened on May 19 with free entry for both local and international visitors for the first six weeks. The garden was established on a nearly 15ha plot of land in Siem Reap. “After the first six weeks, Angkor Botanical Garden

  • Pub Street on the cards for Battambang

    The Battambang Provincial Authority has announced that it is considering establishing a Pub Street in the area around the heritage buildings in Battambang town in a bid to attract more tourists. Battambang provincial governor Sok Lou told The Post that the establishment of a Pub

  • Hun Sen: Don’t react to hostility

    Prime Minister Hun Sen urged tolerance and thanked members of the Cambodian diaspora for not reacting to the hostility on display towards him by others while he was in the US to attend the May 12-13 ASEAN-US Special Summit in Washington, DC. In an audio