Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Alleged brothel owner tried in Phnom Penh

Alleged brothel owner tried in Phnom Penh

Alleged brothel owner tried in Phnom Penh

A MAN charged last September with operating a brothel and recruiting women to work as sex workers was tried yesterday at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court. Meach Buny, 41, denied both charges, saying he had merely rented rooms to sex workers, charging them half of what their clients paid them. Deputy prosecutor Phlong Sophal told Presiding Judge Sous Sam Ath that the accused had been running a brothel and recruiting women to work in it since 2007. The brothel was for Cambodian and foreign clients, Sophal said. The verdict is expected on July 27.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman