Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Alleged child rapist faces two new charges



Alleged child rapist faces two new charges

Alleged serial rapist San Nimol, 34, was arrested last week in Battambang province.
Alleged serial rapist San Nimol, 34, was arrested last week in Battambang province. Photo supplied

Alleged child rapist faces two new charges

An alleged serial child rapist was handed fresh charges by an investigating judge at the Battambang Provincial Court late last week, according to anti-human trafficking officials.

The man, San Nimol, 34, was arrested in June, four days after a 10-year-old girl came forward with allegations of rape.

Investigators suspected Nimol may have been a serial abuser, and joined forces with the NGO Child Protection Unit (CPU). A second victim was swiftly identified.

“After [allegedly] raping the first two, he took off, but we got him arrested,” said CPU Executive Director James McCabe. “We continued investigations and identified two more victims.”

The four victims were all girls between 10 and 14 years old and were known to the suspect.

Investigating Judge Roth Sitha on Friday added two additional counts of aggravated rape to Nimol’s charges, bringing the total to four, according to Born Vannara, head of the Battambang Provincial Police’s Anti-Human Trafficking Unit.

“The suspect is in detention in Battambang prison,” Vannara said. The crime of raping a child carries a prison term of between seven and 15 years under the Penal Code.

The CPU took to Facebook to thank investigators for their hard work in apprehending the suspect and identifying further victims.

“He will not be able to attack another child again,” the organisation wrote.

The investigation is ongoing, police said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through