Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Amid $1.9M gift, CMAC boss tempers US aid comments



Amid $1.9M gift, CMAC boss tempers US aid comments

US President Barack Obama greets Laotian deminers during a visit last month in which he announced $90 million in funding for mine clearance. AFP
US President Barack Obama greets Laotian deminers during a visit last month in which he announced $90 million in funding for mine clearance. AFP

Amid $1.9M gift, CMAC boss tempers US aid comments

Seemingly backing away from previous criticism, Heng Ratana, director-general of the Cambodia Mine Action Centre (CMAC), expressed gratitude to the US on Friday for pledging another $1.9 million to the organisation, while still implying that Cambodia is not treated as well as its neighbouring countries.

Ratana posted a Facebook status saying he signed an agreement on Friday with US authorities who pledged $1.9 million over 12 months to “clear over 12 square kilometers of contamination areas in at least 7 provinces”.

Last month, Ratana had taken to Facebook to decry US President Barack Obama’s pledge of $90 million in demining aid to Laos as “unfair”.

Over the weekend, however, Ratana took a more conciliatory tone, thanking the US for its past and present contributions.

“It is important to recall that the United States has provided approx US$40 million to CMAC since 1995,” Ratana wrote. “We highly appreciate the Government and people of the United States,” he added.

Ratana ended his post, however, by once again implying Cambodia was being treated unfairly by the United States. “We firmly hope the moral obligation to Cambodia will be provided in the same way it is to its neighbours,” he wrote, adding “moral obligations must not be discriminatory”.

David Josar, deputy spokesman at the US Embassy, offered differing figures from Ratana, saying the United States has, in fact, donated more than $100 million to various Cambodian organisations in demining aid in the past 20 years.

“The US State Department currently provides $5.5 million in annual support for humanitarian mine action activities in Cambodia,” Josar said.

In comparison, in 2011, the NGO Legacies of War estimated the US had only donated $51 million to Laos. Laos also has the dubious honour of being the most heavily bombed country per capita in history.

Meanwhile, also on Friday, a Battambang villager lost a leg in Samlot district after stepping on a landmine.“He went to his rice farm in order to cut the bush around the farm to prevent wild pigs from entering the farm and stepped on a landmine,” said Kim Ly, Ta Tork commune chief.

She added that in August, another villager in her commune also lost a leg from the same kind of land mine.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and