Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Angkor Park guard halts VN religious ceremony



Angkor Park guard halts VN religious ceremony

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
An Angkor Park tour guide (centre) argues with a tour guide after his clients were prevented from performing a religious ceremony. facebook

Angkor Park guard halts VN religious ceremony

A group of Vietnamese tourists and their Cambodian guide were briefly held for questioning on Wednesday after they attempted to perform a prohibited religious ritual inside Siem Reap’s Angkor Archeological Park.

According to a video posted on Facebook, security guards halted the ceremony inside the Angkor Wat temple after which an argument broke out between park officials and the tour guide.

The clip shows the guide arguing in favour of his foreign clients, saying they were just exercising their beliefs, adding that the guard had no right to stop them.

The guard countered that rituals inside the park must be given special permission and that the tourists were required to stay and answer questions from the police.

Apsara Authority, the park’s operators, said the tourists were warned and advised after the guard spotted them.

Its spokesman Long Kosal said the action was prohibited as the group did not have permission from park authorities.

“Before performing any ritual in the temple, obtaining permission from the authorities is a must. Not only in Angkor Wat Temple but also any other temple,” he said, adding that officials research any event before it is allowed.

He claimed that it wasn’t only locals who could perform religious ceremonies in the park. He mentioned hosting an Indian ceremony previously.

“We don’t have any serious punishment for those who attempt to perform without permission. However, they will be watched closely everywhere they go,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman