Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Angkor Village strikers sued

Angkor Village strikers sued

Angkor Village strikers sued

120220_05
Former employees of the Angkor Village Hotel and Resort protest last year in Siem Reap town.

The foreign owner of a luxury Siem Reap hotel has sued four workers he sacked last year, alleging they damaged his property during protests in which they accused him of firing them for unionising.

In total, 67 workers were sacked last year by Ankor Village Hotel and Resort owners Olivier Piot and Tep Vantho after they began unionisng, leading to a series of protests and court intervention.

The pair have consistently claimed the staff were sacked for unrelated insubordination, an argument that has been dismissed by the arbitration council and a subsequent court ruling, though a final appeal decision is still pending.

Morm Rithy, vice president of the Cambodian Tourism and Service Workers’ Federation and one of those who was sacked, said yesterday he did not understand how he could be summonsed to the Appeal Court on an allegation already dismissed by the provincial court.

“I don’t have any documents with me because I do not know this case, and I also did not damage the hotel’s property,” he said.  

The hotel’s former chef and CTSWF president, Korng Kimlean, said she was not worried about the complaint, because workers had committed no wrongdoing.

“We protested in front of the hotel; we did not destroy its property, not even one flower, but we don’t know why the owner of this hotel and resort, Olivier Piot, filed a complaint against us for intentional damage,” she said.

Piot and Tep Vantho could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Sacked workers Chan Chakrya and Korng Sytha have also been summoned to answer the complaint, which will be heard on February 29 and March 1.

The long-running dispute has attracted unwanted attention to Cambodia’s premier tourism destination, where provincial officials have sought to intervene, expressing concern it is damaging the area’s reputation.

Today, the appeal court is scheduled to rule on the sacked workers’ demand that the hotel immediately reinstate them because they were unlawfully dismissed.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • IPU slams government claim

    The president of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU), Gabriela Cuevas Barron, has refuted a claim by the National Assembly that she “highly appreciated the achievements of Cambodia” in its July national elections with a tweet saying “Of course not!” before adding “No congratulations”. A delegation from