Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Angkor Wat changes custodianship



Angkor Wat changes custodianship

Angkor Wat changes custodianship

T HE Ministry of Culture and Arts has lost direct control of the Angkor temples in

Siem Reap, with the establishment of an autonomous conservation and tourism agency

for Siem Reap.

Senior ministry officials are unhappy with the move, following what some saw as a

power struggle between them and Minister of State Vann Moulyvann.

Moulyvann, famous for designing Phnom Penh's Independence Monument, has been appointed

vice-president of the APSARA authority.

The formation of APSARA, headed by the co-Prime Ministers, is defended as being necessary

to meet the requirements of Angkor Wat being a World Heritage Committee (WHC) site.

But the government is already running into trouble, with the WHC threatening to remove

Angkor Wat from its list of protected sites unless the government passes a new cultural

protection law soon.

Moulyvan confirmed the WHC had given the government until December to pass the law,

which was already drafted.

He hoped the deadline could be met.

Meanwhile, there are grumblings about the make-up of APSARA.

Sik Bun Hok, cabinet director of the Ministry of Culture, said the government had

formed APSARA after a proposal made by Moulyvann.

Bun Hok, who said his ministry would remain involved with APSARA, would not say whether

he was happy with the change.

"I don't want to reveal to you the internal dispute and I have no intention

to fight against the decision, to get back [Ministry of Culture] control... I wish

the authority to achieve its plans to develop the Angkor areas."

He said APSARA could do its job well, if it respected the competence of member ministries.

Minister of Culture Nouth Narang, who is the only ministry representative on APSARA's

14-member board, said: "I am not so happy over the decision because I think

I can and should still be able to develop the Angkor areas.

"It will be meaningless for the Ministry of Culture if the ministry was completely

stopped from working on it."

Moulyvann did not want to respond, saying: "I think there is no need to think

about feelings and impressions which are not objective."

He said Narang remained a member of APSARA, which had to be an independent, efficient

body capable of collaborating with experts in various ministries.

A Royal decree signed in February established APSARA, as well as a Supreme Council

of National Culture.

Both organizations have the same boards, with the Prime Ministers as their co-presidents

and Moulyvann its vice-president.

The other members are the Ministers of Culture, Tourism, Public Workers, Finance,

Environment, Planning and Foreign Affairs, along with the Siem Reap governor, the

General-Secretary of the Cambodian Development Council and a representative of the

Council of Ministers.

The Ministry of Culture would serve as the secretariat to the Supreme Council of

National Culture, but APSARA would have its own staff, according to Moulyvann.

Separate agencies for tourism development, urban planning, conservation, and others,

would be established under APSARA.

The new authority's first board meeting on October 9 would elect an executive director

and finalize its staffing and budget.

Moulyvan said French funding of $1.4 million had been secured to start up APSARA.

It would raise further money from selling plots of land for hotel developments, taxes

on hotels, tour operators and tourist fees.

When Siem Reap achieved 1 million tourist visitors a year, and development plans

were well underway, Moulyvann estimated APSARA would be have potential funding of

$30m-50m a year.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese