Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Another arrest in kidnap case

Another arrest in kidnap case

Another arrest in kidnap case

A second man was arrested yesterday over the kidnapping of Sau Akno, the son of General Sau Phan, deputy director of the general commissariat of the National Police, police said.

Sao Bon, 40, was charged with kidnapping Sau Akno on October 3 and faces up to 30 years in prison if convicted.

Sear Sambath, chief of the penal crime investigation office at national military police, said Sao Bon was arrested on Sunday in Kampong Trabaek district, Kandal province.

His arrest follows military police detaining and charging Suth Sophy in Sen Monorom district, Mondolkiri province, last week.

Other kidnappers, including suspected ringleader Nguon Soeur, remain at large.

Sear Sambath said six other suspected kidnappers had escaped to France, Sweden and Thailand, while some were probably still in the country.

Military police sent Sao Bon to Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday where he was charged and remanded in custody.

Sau Akno was kidnapped on October 3 in Chroy Changva commune, Russey Keo district.

The kidnappers released him on October 23 for an undisclosed figure suggested to be about $US500,000. Sau Phan and his family could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Sear Sambath said police are working with French police to search for the suspected kidnappers who remain on the run.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,