Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Another crash for Capitol

Another crash for Capitol

Another crash for Capitol

A sleep-deprived driver crashed a bus on Saturday morning, leaving 14 passengers injured.

When driver Kong Thol, 42, of Kampong Cham’s Chheung Prey district allegedly dozed off at about 9am, the Capitol Tours bus veered off the road and into a rice paddy along National Road 6 in Kampong Thom province’s Stoung district, said Hang Thol, Kampong Thom’s provincial military police general.

“After the accident, the driver escaped and the injured people were sent to the hospital at Stoung District Referral Hospital,” Thol said yesterday.

The bus was heading from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh.

Of the 30 onboard, six suffered severe injuries, and another eight received minor injuries, Thol said.

In June, Capitol was one of four bus companies issued government warnings due to their high rates of fatalities, with officials saying the companies could face closure if deaths on the bus lines continued.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen to ‘step down’ if he loses Sam Rainsy bet over Kem Sokha

    Hun Sen has promised to step down as prime minister while opposition figure Sam Rainsy pledges to turn himself in as forfeits if the long-term political rivals lose a “bet” over the future of former opposition leader Kem Sokha, who is on bail awaiting trial

  • ‘Historic’ Khmer Rouge tribunal Case 002/2 verdict to be delivered

    The Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) are to deliver the verdict on Friday, in the trial of former Khmer Rouge leaders Nuon Chea and Khieu Samphan, in a pronouncement hailed as a “historic event for Cambodia and the world”. The verdict from

  • Record set for world’s longest dragon boat

    Cambodia broke the world record for the longest dragon boat – a title previously held by China, Guinness World Records adjudicator Pravin Patel said on Monday. He verified the record on the east bank of the Mekong river, in Prey Veng province’s Peamro district. “With

  • Analyst: Government appointments ‘a waste of national budget’

    The government has appointed over 200 officials as undersecretaries of state, secretaries of state, assistants and advisers at various institutions since October 1. While senior officials said the appointments were aimed at ensuring higher efficiency at the national level, social analysts said the practice is merely power-sharing