Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Another RCAF truck filled with timber seized

Another RCAF truck filled with timber seized

Authorities weigh illegal wood in front of a seized RCAF vehicle in Oddar Meanchey’s Anlong Veng district earlier this week. Photo supplied
Authorities weigh illegal wood in front of a seized RCAF vehicle in Oddar Meanchey’s Anlong Veng district earlier this week. Photo supplied

Another RCAF truck filled with timber seized

Another Royal Cambodian Armed Forces vehicle loaded with timber, the second in as many weeks, was stopped by authorities in Oddar Meanchey’s Anlong Veng district on Tuesday night, one of three illegal wood seizures on the same day.

While Forestry Administration (FA) officials managed to chase down the RCAF vehicle, as was the case last week, the driver escaped. Deputy provincial prosecutor Sorm Sopheak said the FA confiscated 20 kilograms of luxury wood from the car, which belongs to RCAF’s brigade 41.

“The driver escaped when the authorities tried to arrest him,” Sopheak said yesterday. Last week, authorities in Anlong Veng stopped a car with RCAF plates, containing more than 300 kilos of rosewood.

Provincial prosecutor Koy Kanya said at the time that it’s hard for officers to pursue offenders fleeing on foot. However, Prey Lang Community Network spokesman Seng Sokheng said yesterday that corruption among officials is the likelier explanation for the escapes.

A conservation expert who declined to be named due to their work with the government, yesterday said that despite a much-heralded crackdown, the military remains involved in many logging operations in the northern provinces.

Illegal timber is brought to economic concessions owned by RCAF officers or to military-populated social concessions then “laundered”.

“These concessions have a right to collect timber from clearing their own land,” said the source. “When [illegal] timber is taken there, they create [fake] documents for it” to make the wood appear as if it came from within the concession.

Defence spokesman Chhum Socheat yesterday said that RCAF would not try to protect the latest suspect, but warned against generalised criticism.

“This is an individual and it is not a unit problem,” he said. Sopheak also said a March case involving a standoff between forestry officials defending a seized timber truck and Brigade 4 soldiers attempting to seize it back had reached the provincial court but could not offer more details.

Separately on Tuesday, more than 11 tonnes of rosewood in a heavy truck were intercepted near the Vietnam border in Tbong Khmum by customs officers.

The wood was covered with sugar sacks. “The custom experts suspected timber was hidden, so they checked,” said Provincial Governor Brach Chan, who added that no arrests were made.

Local residents have complained of heavy timber traffic through Tbong Khmum over the past weeks. Military police spokesman Eng Hy said he had not yet received a report about the seizure.

In another case the same day, Siem Reap forestry officers stopped a heavy truck with 261 logs of timber being illegally transported.

MOST VIEWED

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • Governor: Covid subsides in capital

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng said the Covid-19 situation in the capital’s 14 districts has eased, with only two districts still recording a high number of infections. “Transmission cases in all districts are dropping, though they are relatively higher Meanchey and Por Sen Chey.

  • Hun Sen: Get 12-17 age group ready for Covid jabs

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has told parents of children aged 12-17 in Phnom Penh and the provinces of Kandal and Preah Sihanouk to get them ready for vaccinations soon. “There is a need to vaccinate children and youths aged 12 to 17. According to the statistics provided