Faulty electrical wiring has been blamed for razing four Polanka Market stores and damaging at least a hundred others along Siem Reap town’s riverside on Monday night.
Flames erupted from the roof of a kitchen-equipment shop and spread rapidly, requiring nine fire engines to quell the blaze, according to Nea Sang, director of the provincial fire department. No injuries occurred.
“The fire occurred about 9:30pm, so people [home from work] reported it to the police quickly, allowing firefighters to arrive in time to control the fire from spreading further,” Sang said.
This is Siem Reap town’s second fire in less than two weeks in which local officials have held shoddy wiring culpable for instigating the blazes.
Kang Sok Lin, the owner of a shop that sells steel at the market, expressed dismay and shock upon hearing the news of Monday’s fire, having lost her first shop to a fire also started by electrical wiring and responsible for destroying 27 stores at Riverside Market in November 2011. Riverside Market was subsequently replaced by Polanka Market.
“It’s hard for me to hear about this bad news,” she said, “I don’t want to lose any more. Fortunately, my shop is fine, thanks to firefighters,” Kang told the Post, noting that several other stores and residential buildings nearby were also saved by firefighters.
The owner of Polanka Market could not be reached for comment yesterday.