Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Anti-corruption chief rejects need for Sihanoukville building collapse graft probe

Anti-corruption chief rejects need for Sihanoukville building collapse graft probe

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A construction site in Sihanoukville. Post staff

Anti-corruption chief rejects need for Sihanoukville building collapse graft probe

Anti-corruption Unit chief Om Yentieng on Friday declined to launch an investigation into the recent seven-storey building collapse in Sihanoukville, saying it did not involve corruption.

Last Thursday, Cambodian Youth Party president Pich Sros, who is rotating chair of the Supreme Consultation Forum, announced on his Facebook page that he would request Prime Minister Hun Sen to invite Yentieng to a meeting under the forum’s framework to discuss the collapse.

But Yentieng said at a press conference on Friday that the incident did not involve corruption that required his unit to launch an investigation.

“No one has suggested corruption in this case. It is purely about a building collapsing. Please check the articles [of the law]. Only if there is a suggestion of wrongdoing can we investigate. It is completely not corruption related."

“I see that you, the rotating chair, want to invite His Excellency [the Minister of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction and Deputy Prime Minister] Chea Sophara and Om Yentieng to clarify this building collapse case."

“I won’t do so, sorry, because it does not involve me. Please invite only His Excellency Chea Sophara because it is about construction technicalities and legal permission. It does not involve my side,” he said.

Yentieng said he considered the case as just a crime in which the perpetrators were not afraid of the authorities.

“They were not afraid. Why do you want to talk about corruption, I would like to ask? This is a case of non-compliance with the authorities [rules and regulations]. Why ask me to investigate? It is not corruption,” he said.

However, Sros told The Post on Sunday that his intention in inviting the Anti-Corruption Unit chief was not focused only on the building collapse.

He said he wanted Yentieng to give a clear indication of the unit’s procedures as there was a degree of doubt amongst his forum.

Sros also said he had changed his mind and had cancelled the request to Prime Minister Hun Sen even before Yentieng’s refusal.

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Yentieng rejected the need for a corruption investigation. post staff

“We decided to cancel the summons before Yentieng declined because we saw a letter from the Ministry of Land [Management, Urban Planning and Construction], so we will let the authority carry out its tasks first."

“But we are not leaving Preah Sihanouk province. We will continue to monitor construction and see if the situation improves,” he said.

On Thursday, the ministry sent a letter to Hun Sen requesting a decision on some “necessary measures” aimed at preventing illegal construction.

“The measures apply to construction sites of hotels, joint residential buildings, commercial buildings, factory buildings, handicraft buildings and other buildings that have no permission or are constructed differently from their technical specifications,” the letter said.

The first of the measures was for the ministry to cease providing electricity to offending construction sites.

The letter also suggested that the Ministry of Industry and Handicraft stop such sites’ clean water supply and that the Ministry of Public Works and Transport not allow them to connect to public sewers.

Fourth, it urged the relevant ministries and institutions not to provide businesses with permits and, fifth, the letter said, the Ministry of Information and relevant authorities should not permit the owners to run advertisements.

The Post understands that there had been no response from Hun Sen as of Sunday afternoon.

Affiliated Network for Social Accountability executive director San Chey said the request for the Anti-Corruption Unit to launch an investigation is legitimate because there were several indications that the Sihanoukville building collapse may have involved corruption.

“This building collapse could have involved corrupt influences. We have to investigate the land leaser who rented the land to the Chinese national because we need to find out if they were influential people."

“I think it involves fear and that’s why the authorities did not dare to prevent [the construction] as it was banned two times already. Behind the defiance, there must not be any influence or any power that made the Chinese nationals not listen,” Chey said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Residents ordered to remove structures on Phnom Penh’s canal

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng has ordered authorities to act against the perpetrators who built houses along the Luo 5 canal in Meanchey district. The municipal administration plans to create a committee to solve the matter. The order was given on Wednesday while Sreng led

  • ‘On the offensive’: Cambodia to load up on loans to stimulate economy

    As the dust settles on the economy, Cambodia comes to grips with what needs to be done to turn the economy around, starting with a big shopping list for credit ‘We are going on the offensive,” Vongsey Vissoth, Ministry of Economy and Finance permanent secretary

  • Eighty replacement peacekeepers set for Mali mission despite Covid

    Eighty Cambodian blue helmet soldiers who completed the peacekeeping mission under the UN umbrella in Mali will return to Cambodia on Friday, said the Centre for Peacekeeping Forces spokeswoman Kosal Malida. “To protect their families and communities from the Covid-19 pandemic, the 80 are required to

  • Government set to make up for cancelled April holiday

    The government is set to make up for a five-day Khmer New Year holiday late this month or early next month. The holiday was earlier cancelled due to the onset of Covid-19. The announcement is expected on Friday as the government is studying a range

  • Families told to register for cash handouts

    The government has called on poor families to apply to commune authorities for evaluation to receive financial support during the Covid-19 crisis. A $300 million budget has been planned for implementation within a year. Ministry of Economy and Finance secretary of state Vongsey Visoth said this