Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Anti-Hun Sen filings piling up in Hague




Anti-Hun Sen filings piling up in Hague

Anti-Hun Sen filings piling up in Hague

A complaint against Prime Minister Hun Sen and other government officials was filed with the International Criminal Court yesterday on behalf of about 20 Cambodian human rights groups and victims, according to the lawyer representing them.

Unlike another ICC complaint against the government that will be filed next month by international lawyer Richard Rogers, yesterday’s complaint alleges crimes of genocide in addition to crimes against humanity, American human rights attorney Morton Sklar said.

“The genocide claims are based on Hun Sen’s efforts to interfere with the operations of the Khmer Rouge tribunal, and to stop investigations and prosecutions of Khmer Rouge atrocities in their tracks, so as to shield members of the Hun Sen government from criminal charges.”

New Zealander Rob Hamill, whose brother Kerry Hamill was captured and killed by the Khmer Rouge at S-21, is one of only three complainants identified in the filing, with the rest kept confidential out of fear of reprisals.

“I support any effort that pushes Cambodia’s leadership to give its people the respect they so richly deserve,” Hamill, who testified as a civil party in 2009 against S-21 boss Duch, said yesterday.

The two filings are “completely separate initiatives” on behalf of different victims, according to Rogers, who said it was normal for the ICC to receive multiple complaints related to similar allegations.

Sklar's complaint has no connection to the Cambodia National Rescue Party, whereas Rogers was asked to investigate by the CNRP, but on behalf of victims and not the party.

The claims of genocide based on supposed government interference at the KRT were “far-fetched and rather fanciful”, said international lawyer Michael Karnavas.

While government officials had made statements that could be construed as political interference, cases 003 and 004 are “being investigated”, he said.

“I personally have yet to see any direct or indirect evidence of interference. Just because certain suspects are being investigated, does not mean that they necessarily meet the jurisdictional threshold at the ECCC, or that they should even be prosecuted in the national courts," Karnavas said.

“Before lodging such serious accusations with all the hoopla and fanfare of a public-relations stunt, it is prudent to wait and see what the investigation turns up and the legal reasoning for whatever the Co-Investigative Judges decide, and even then, it is premature because appeals are likely to follow.”

Government spokesman Phay Siphan could not be reached yesterday, but he has previously dismissed Rogers’ case as “a joke”.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Potential shield’ for virus hangs in balance

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) suspended trials of the drug that US president Donald Trump has promoted as a coronavirus defence, fuelling concerns about his handling of the pandemic that has killed nearly 100,000 US citizens. Trump has led the push for hydroxychloroquine as a potential

  • Gov’t rolls out stimulus to keep businesses afloat

    The government has introduced the fourth round of stimulus measures aimed at ensuring economic and social stability during the outbreak of the Covid-19 disease. The move, which was announced on Tuesday, is designed to help businesses, factories and enterprises to stay afloat while reducing the

  • E-cigarette back in spotlight amid virus pandemic

    The Ministry of Health’s Department of Communicable Disease (DCD) department has released a video about the effects of smoking, while the NGO Cambodia Movement for Health (CMH) warned against the use of electronic cigarettes or vape. The short video clip that was posted on

  • Por Sen Chey woman murdered

    Por Sen Chey district police are searching for a suspect who robbed and killed a woman in a rented room in Samraong Kraom commune in Phnom Penh at 6:30pm on Monday. Deputy district police chief Chea Sovann told The Post on Tuesday that the victim,

  • Police chief: remove all roadblocks

    National Police chief Neth Savoeun warned Phnom Penh and provincial police chiefs to remove all roadblocks, saying that traffic police officials in some provinces had tightened traffic law implementation against guidelines. In a leaked voice message which was shared on social media on Tuesday, Savoeun

  • Capital calls for Covid-19 caution

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Hall announced on Monday that authorities in the city’s 14 districts must encourage people to continue various safety measures to prevent a second wave of Covid-19. It called on administrations, departments and units to educate residents on daily living habits like