Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Anti-logging taskforce touts its case statistics

Anti-logging taskforce touts its case statistics

Anti-logging taskforce touts its case statistics

The National Committee for the Prevention and Crackdown on Natural Resource Crimes, led by the National Military Police, on Wednesday denied that it has hesitated to crack down on illegal logging in Kantuy Neak area located in a protected area in Ratanakkiri province.

The denial was made in a press release to respond to recent accusations in local media and on Facebook that authorities hesitated to take legal action as 1,887 logs of timber were found in the Kantuy Neak area.

It stated that the committee had gone to investigate forest crimes in the Kantuy Neak area located in Virak Chey National Park in Ratannakkiri’s Taveng district from December 29 to January 16.

Authorities discovered 2,068 logs of illegal wood including 181 logs ripped by fire. The timber was seized and handed over to provincial authorities to safeguard before sending the case to court.

“We confirm that the National Committee for the Prevention and Crackdown on Natural Resource Crimes was created on a decision by the government and that it carries out its duties in accordance with the laws. If there is a crime, it must be cracked down on. There is no hesitation,” the press released said.

The Committee has so far auctioned 7,385 cubic meters of timber seized in Mondulkiri, Kratie, and Tbong Khmum provinces, it said.

Committee spokesman Eng Hy said authorities did not see any trucks or suspects in the vicinity of the logs found in the Kantuy Neak area.

He said last year, the Committee arrested and sent at least 59 suspects, including some tycoons, to court for involvement in forest crimes and seized 9,215 cubic meters of mixed wood and 491 trucks.

In a separate case, Preah Vihear provincial Military Police, Forest Administration and relevant authorities investigated and found 20 cubic metres of planks and logs in the forest in Tbeng Meanchey district’s Brame commune on Tuesday, provincial military police commander Kang Saokun said on Wednesday.

“The timber was seized and handed over to Forestry Administration officials for further action. They are measuring it,” he said, adding that no suspect was seen at the scene and the timber was impounded at a district office of the Forestry Administration.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The