Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Anti-tank mine explosion kills two

Anti-tank mine explosion kills two

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Authorities pose next to a pair of mine detectors which were used by victims of a bomb explosion in Oddar Meanchey on Thursday.Police

Anti-tank mine explosion kills two

A bomb explosion on Thursday killed two of three “unlicensed” men who were hired to carry out mine clearance in O’Svay commune, in Oddar Meanchey province’s Trapaing Prasat district.

District police chief In Kay said the villagers had collectively hired Hok Rachhan, 18, Mao Kamsot, 22, and Tem Bunthim, 49, to detonate land mines at a plantation in Sen Sam village.

They have been in the business for more than 10 years as the locals know it, he said.

“The villagers trusted them, therefore, they were hired to do the work. The ground used to be a fighting area, containing a lot of unexploded ordnances [UXOs]. Some experts have come to demine the ground five times already,” he said.

Kay said the authorities have “educated the locals about the dangers of the UXOs and warned them not to clear the bombs by themselves”.

He said the trio were taking a break on the very spot where Rachhan detected an anti-tank mine underneath them.

Without realising how deep the UXO was buried, Rachhan dug the ground with a hoe, while Kamsot boiled water for tea and Bunthim walked away from the site to look for his snare.

As he kept digging, Rachhan’s hoe eventually hit and detonated the mine, killing him and Kamsot on the spot. Bunthim who was away escaped unscathed.

Aware of the accident, Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) director-general Heng Ratana said his team members plan to visit the explosion site and examine the case on Friday, regarding it as “one of the biggest issues”.

“The men were not demining experts, they never got any training. They only knew how to clear mines from observing other people, but they still risked their lives."

“They did not possess a licence nor did they have the expertise to carry out mine clearance, thus they did their work illegally,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police

  • Rapper deletes song critical of Cambodian social issues

    A young musician has deleted from Facebook and YouTube a rap song that was critical of Cambodia’s social issues and announced that he will stop singing the song after officials visited his home in Siem Reap province and allegedly gave him a warning. Provincial

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court