Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Appeal in case of beaten opposition lawmakers suspended



Appeal in case of beaten opposition lawmakers suspended

Sam Sokong, representing two opposition lawmakers who were beaten in 2015, speaks after the Appeal Court postponed a hearing to extend the four-year sentence against the members of Hun Sen's bodyguard unit convicted in the case.
Sam Sokong, representing two opposition lawmakers who were beaten in 2015, speaks after the Appeal Court postponed a hearing to extend the four-year sentence against the members of Hun Sen's bodyguard unit convicted in the case. Chhay Channyda

Appeal in case of beaten opposition lawmakers suspended

A hearing at the Appeal Court to extend the prison terms of members of Prime Minister Hun Sen’s elite bodyguard unit who attacked two opposition lawmakers in 2015 has been indefinitely postponed.

Mao Hoeung, Sot Vanny and Chhay Sarith were among a dozen people who assaulted then-Cambodia National Rescue Party lawmakers Nhay Chamroeun and Kong Saphea in October 2015. They were sentenced to four years in prison in May 2016, with three years suspended, and all received promotions after they were released from prison last year.

Two of the five lawyers for the former CNRP lawmakers appeared at the Appeal Court on Friday morning and asked the judge for a delay, as not all of the lawyers had received the summons on time and they had inadequate time to prepare their case.

The court agreed to delay the hearing, but a new date was not set. The convicted bodyguards did not appear at the court.

Sam Sokong, representing the assaulted opposition lawmakers, said the prison sentence for the bodyguards was “too small”, and that instead of being convicted of intentional violence with aggravating circumstances, they should have been prosecuted for attempted murder.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.