Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Appeal Court upholds Sam Rainsy conviction



Appeal Court upholds Sam Rainsy conviction

Former opposition leader Sam Rainsy speaks to the press after an event in 2015 in Phnom Penh.
Former opposition leader Sam Rainsy speaks to the press after an event in 2015 in Phnom Penh. Hong Menea

Appeal Court upholds Sam Rainsy conviction

The Phnom Penh Appeal Court has upheld a defamation conviction against former opposition leader Sam Rainsy, who had been sentenced to 20 months in prison for claiming Prime Minister Hun Sen’s government was behind the murder of political analyst Kem Ley.

Rainsy’s lawyer, Sam Sokong, said yesterday the court also upheld fines of 10 million riel (about $2,500) to the state and 100 riel (about two and a half cents) to Hun Sen for claiming the murder was an act of “state-sponsored terrorism” – a view held by many Cambodians.

Rainsy, reached yesterday, was defiant.

“I maintain that the Hun Sen government organised Kem Ley’s murder and its subsequent cover-up because nobody else would have been able to commit this act of state terrorism,” he said, noting similar patterns in the high-profile assassinations of monk Sam Bunthoeun in 2003, unionist Chea Vichea in 2004 and environmentalist Chut Wutty in 2012.

He said the verdict was “not surprising” because “the authorities would do anything to prevent the truth about Kem Ley’s death from being exposed”.

Rainsy said he had no faith in Cambodia’s judicial system and instead pinned his hopes on an information-sharing agreement with oil giant Chevron, which owns the Phnom Penh Caltex station where Ley was shot dead on July 10 last year.

Under the agreement the company will this month hand over any files containing search terms like “Hun Sen” and “assassin!” to a California court.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said