Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Apsara Authority continues push to install toilets for villagers living in the Angkor area

Apsara Authority continues push to install toilets for villagers living in the Angkor area

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
To date, the Apsara Authority has installed 1,110 toilets for villagers, covering 40 per cent of the cost. apsara national authority

Apsara Authority continues push to install toilets for villagers living in the Angkor area

The Apsara National Authority installed 29 toilets at the homes of villagers in Run Ta Ek commune last month, bringing the total provided to Angkor area residents to 1,110 since 2018.

In a Facebook post, it said there is much more work to be done to make sure all residents in the area have toilets.

It noted that the Angkor Water Cleaning and Water Management Development Project allows residents to pay 60 per cent of the cost to install a toilet, with the authority covering the remaining 40 per cent.

“This contribution is helpful for residents of the Angkor resort area to have sanitary toilets and avoid open defecations in order to reduce diseases. It also encourages local citizens to live clean and it pushes them to take more action to protect the Angkor resort,” it noted.

Apsara National Authority spokesman Long Kosal said on Monday that many toilets are installed daily in the area to help residents who are not able to build them for their use.

He said a lack of toilets still exists, so the Apsara National Authority would continue to encourage locals to take advantage of the programme.

“It is a necessary job for us, so we will continue to build more in order to make sure that citizens can live comfortably. They are one part of the heritage. A lack of toilets is still a challenge, even though some local people have begun taking better care of themselves and their environments,” he said.

Ruon Sithy, who lives in Run Ta Ek commune and received funds from the Apsara National Authority to build a toilet, said on Monday that he appreciated the programme.

“My village still lacks toilets because people do not have much ability to build them on their own. When the Apsara National Authority went to help them, they looked really happy. Before we defecated in the forest, but now we can’t do it anymore,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia to waive quarantine requirements Nov 15, no PCR test required

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has decided to lift all quarantine requirements for fully vaccinated travellers and visitors – both Cambodians and foreign nationals – effective from November 15 onward. In a special message addressed to officials and relevant authorities on November 14, Hun Sen said this policy will enable

  • PM: No more quarantine for vaccinated travellers

    Cambodia is lifting all quarantine requirements for vaccinated inbound travellers entering Cambodia by air, waterway or land border checkpoints effective from November 15. Travellers will be required to take a rapid antigen test on arrival rather than waiting for the results of the lengthier polymerase chain

  • No payment required for travellers taking rapid Covid tests on arrival

    Ministry of Health officials said there would be no payment required for the rapid Covid-19 tests given to travellers who arrive in Cambodia from November 15 onwards after the quarantine requirement is lifted for fully vaccinated people. Health ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told The Post on

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • More Cambodians studying in US

    The number of Cambodian students studying at US colleges and universities in 2020-21 increased by 14.3 per cent over the previous year despite the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a recent US government report. The 2021 Open Doors report on International Educational Exchange showed that 848 Cambodian students studied

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration