Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Army and KR dig in for showdown outside Battambang



Army and KR dig in for showdown outside Battambang

Army and KR dig in for showdown outside Battambang

M ORE fighting is expected over the northwest village of Treng, after it fell to

the Khmer Rouge on July 4.

The Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) have

vowed to retake the village, but say the KR is digging in to prepare for a

counter-attack.

Between 300-350 rebel guerrillas - backed by seven tanks,

as well as mortars, artillery and anti-aircraft guns - are said to have been

involved in the July 4 attack.

RCAF troops retreated from the village,

about 45km southwest of Battambang town, after two hours of fighting.

On

July 5 the government announced a 1000-troop counter-attack against Treng, but

new RCAF front-lines set up about 4km from Treng did not last long.

By

the end of the next day, military officers said some 400 troops, three tanks and

several artillery pieces had been withdrawn from the front-lines.

The

retreat followed the firing of about 150 shells at government positions,

Battambang military deputy commander Brigadier-General Chea Ros.

A later

KR advance was repulsed by government counter-attack supported by 10 tanks and

five helicopter gunships.

Casualty figures remain unclear but Gen Ros

said eight RCAF soldiers were killed, and another 10 were missing, on July 5.

Six civilians were injured.

At the Post's press time, the situation

remained a stalemate. Gen Ros said 200 extra KR guerrillas had been sent to

Treng as reinforcements, while the RCAF was also preparing to try to retake the

village.

.

Treng - situated roughly halfway between Battambang and the

KR's de facto capital of Pailin - fell to the rebels in early May before the

RCAF recaptured it.

The KR is said to have seized about 350,000 rounds of

ammunition and 300 guns during their first capture of the village.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese