Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Attempted double child rapist in court



Attempted double child rapist in court

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The suspect, Beng Roem, 37, was accused of attempting to rape two 12-year-old girls in Kampong Trach district at Kampot Province. Police Photo

Attempted double child rapist in court

Police are due to present a man accused of attempting to rape two 12-year-old girls in Kampong Trach district at Kampot Provincial Court on Wednesday.

Chhem Chheang, Kampot provincial criminal office chief, said the suspect, Beng Roem, 37, is a farmer, while the alleged victims are cousins who live in O’Sleng village. He said Roem had already been interrogated by police.

Chheang said Roem tried to rape the victims on two separate occasions, with the pair being targeted on May 15 and also on May 20.

“We charged him with two counts of attempted rape. I have sent the case to the judge and maybe, after reviewing it, there will be additional charges. This is at the discretion of the judge or prosecutor,” he said.

Chheang said Roem had first tried to rape the two girls on May 15 but was unsuccessful and fled the scene.

Then, on the evening of May 20, he attempted to rape them again, but the girls shouted for help, alerting their families who lodged a complaint with the police, who then later arrested Roem.

The Child Protection Unit (CPU), a local NGO, and authorities took both victims to hospital for a medical examination. The CPU could not be reached for comment.

San Chey, director of the NGO Affiliated Network for Social Accountability, said: “This kind of incident can happen when the morals and values of an individual are compromised. It can also happen because people are drunk or have consumed drugs. “It is another social problem in Cambodia.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and