Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Australia seeking new destinations for refugees




Australia seeking new destinations for refugees

Australia seeking new destinations for refugees

Australia is actively looking to strike deals with more countries that can resettle its unwanted refugees as its controversial agreement with Cambodia continues to flounder.

Peter Dutton, Australia’s immigration minister, said yesterday the government was in talks with countries outside of Cambodia in a bid to find new third-party resettlement options.

“We’re working and have been for a long period of time working on other bilateral options,” he said. “We have Cambodia available as an option, and it is difficult when we’ve got probably well-intentioned refugee advocates back here who are messaging up to these people on Nauru, saying ‘don’t accept any offer’.”

Dutton’s office didn’t respond yesterday to questions about which countries had been approached.

Ian Rintoul, spokesman for the Refugee Action Coalition, said Australia’s search for more countries less than a year after signing the $A40 million (US$28.5 million) deal with Phnom Penh “shows how ridiculous the idea of resettlement in Cambodia really is”.

Since the agreement was signed over champagne last October, just four refugees have arrived in Cambodia. One has requested to return to his native Myanmar and is awaiting repatriation.

The Interior Ministry recently claimed two more Rohingya refugees have volunteered for resettlement.

But Rintoul said there was “no sign” of the alleged volunteers. “It is highly likely that they don’t really exist.”

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Potential shield’ for virus hangs in balance

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) suspended trials of the drug that US president Donald Trump has promoted as a coronavirus defence, fuelling concerns about his handling of the pandemic that has killed nearly 100,000 US citizens. Trump has led the push for hydroxychloroquine as a potential

  • Gov’t rolls out stimulus to keep businesses afloat

    The government has introduced the fourth round of stimulus measures aimed at ensuring economic and social stability during the outbreak of the Covid-19 disease. The move, which was announced on Tuesday, is designed to help businesses, factories and enterprises to stay afloat while reducing the

  • E-cigarette back in spotlight amid virus pandemic

    The Ministry of Health’s Department of Communicable Disease (DCD) department has released a video about the effects of smoking, while the NGO Cambodia Movement for Health (CMH) warned against the use of electronic cigarettes or vape. The short video clip that was posted on

  • Por Sen Chey woman murdered

    Por Sen Chey district police are searching for a suspect who robbed and killed a woman in a rented room in Samraong Kraom commune in Phnom Penh at 6:30pm on Monday. Deputy district police chief Chea Sovann told The Post on Tuesday that the victim,

  • Police chief: remove all roadblocks

    National Police chief Neth Savoeun warned Phnom Penh and provincial police chiefs to remove all roadblocks, saying that traffic police officials in some provinces had tightened traffic law implementation against guidelines. In a leaked voice message which was shared on social media on Tuesday, Savoeun

  • Capital calls for Covid-19 caution

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Hall announced on Monday that authorities in the city’s 14 districts must encourage people to continue various safety measures to prevent a second wave of Covid-19. It called on administrations, departments and units to educate residents on daily living habits like