Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Australia seeks extradition of kidnapping suspect

Australia seeks extradition of kidnapping suspect

Fugitive Australian Guido James Eglitis, who is now in police custody in Siem Reap.
Fugitive Australian Guido James Eglitis, who is now in police custody in Siem Reap. Photo supplied

Australia seeks extradition of kidnapping suspect

Australian authorities are looking into the possible extradition of a 68-year-old man, arrested recently in Siem Reap, who is wanted for alleged kidnapping and torture in Queensland in 2007.

Fugitive Guido James Eglitis was arrested on October 23 along with New Zealand national Brett Michael Hastie, 44, for the alleged September 29 robbery and assault of British man David Scotcher, who has reportedly fled the country in fear for his life.

Queensland privacy laws forbid police from naming subjects of arrest warrants, but in an email yesterday, police there confirmed they are “making enquiries in relation to the possible extradition of a 68-year-old man in relation to a deprivation of liberty investigation from the South Brisbane area in 2007”.

Eglitis was charged in 2007 by a Brisbane court together with an accomplice over the abduction of a 58-year-old businessman in the city’s south.

According to media reports, Eglitis impersonated an Australian Federal Police officer during the kidnapping, which saw the victim snatched from a carpark, thrown into a van and later tied to a chair and detained.

The man eventually escaped. Though charged with kidnapping, Eglitis appears to have fled the country while on bail.

Major General Uk Hai Sela, investigations chief at the Ministry of Interior’s Immigration Department, said he had yet to receive any extradition requests in regard to Eglitis, which, he said, would go through his office.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY CHHAY CHANNYDA

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Stop Russia sanctions

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said sanctions against Russia as a result of its military offensive in Ukraine should be stopped as they have produced no tangible results, and predicted that a global food crisis would ensue in 2023 as a consequence. Speaking to an audience at

  • Chinese tourists 2.0 – Coming anytime soon?

    Regional tourism is grappling with the absence of the prolific travellers and big spenders – the Chinese tourists. Cambodia, which has welcomed over two million Chinese tourists before Covid-19, is reeling from the economic loss despite being the first to fully open last November ‘To put

  • PM reflects on shoe throwing: Free speech or act of violence?

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 17 questioned whether a man who threw a shoe at him while he was in the US was exercising freedom of expression or if it was an act of hostility. Hun Sen was referring to an incident last week when

  • Siem Reap’s Angkor Botanical Garden opens

    The Angkor Botanical Garden was officially opened on May 19 with free entry for both local and international visitors for the first six weeks. The garden was established on a nearly 15ha plot of land in Siem Reap. “After the first six weeks, Angkor Botanical Garden

  • Pub Street on the cards for Battambang

    The Battambang Provincial Authority has announced that it is considering establishing a Pub Street in the area around the heritage buildings in Battambang town in a bid to attract more tourists. Battambang provincial governor Sok Lou told The Post that the establishment of a Pub

  • Hun Sen: Don’t react to hostility

    Prime Minister Hun Sen urged tolerance and thanked members of the Cambodian diaspora for not reacting to the hostility on display towards him by others while he was in the US to attend the May 12-13 ASEAN-US Special Summit in Washington, DC. In an audio