Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Authorities allowing logging: M’kiri locals



Authorities allowing logging: M’kiri locals

Authorities allowing logging: M’kiri locals

Members of six ethnic communities in Mondulkiri’s Sen Monorom town yesterday accused local authorities of blocking their efforts to protect community and wildlife sanctuary forests, where they say luxury timbers are logged by Villas Development, a company co-owned by the wife of Mondulkiri Deputy Governor Yoem Luch.

Duong Ten, 36, a member of the Phnong ethnic minority in Sokdum commune, claimed yesterday that luxury woods in Lao Kar, Memong, Sre Eay, Sre Thom, Sre Thas and Pouchrey communities and Phnom Prich Wildlife Sanctuary are felled without any intervention from authorities, while locals are being forced to stop their own anti-logging efforts.

In February, Sen Monorom town authorities, with police and military police, attempted to force villagers to remove 11 hand-made anti-logging signs, but they refused, Ten said.

“None of the authorities pay attention to stopping forest logging, but those authorities [tried to] force us to remove all of the signs from the road,” he said.

Efforts to keep watch of the forests are also being hindered, Ten said, claiming that last week Chhit Sophal, provincial director of the environment department, tried to stop villagers from patrolling the area.

“Before we just patrolled, but the logging offences have grown, so we decided to sleep in the forest. We saw many [unofficial] trucks, but the on-duty environment officers ignore it.”

Another villager, Sroy Khet, agreed. “The logging is happening more and more. Only ethnic groups work to stop it, not the authorities.”

Deputy governor Yoem Luch rejected allegations Villas Development is involved in logging and timber transportation, claiming the company just plants rubber trees.

“Another company is responsible for the logging.”

Chhit Sophal, director of the provincial environmental department, said that restrictions are enforced to protect the villagers and the forest.

“Sometimes, they [villagers] burn down confiscated timber in the forest, and we asked them not to stay [there] at night. We are afraid someone will injure them and they will accuse us of this,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting