Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Authorities in Ratanakkiri find stash of 160 pieces of timber

Authorities in Ratanakkiri find stash of 160 pieces of timber

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
O’Chum district authorities pose amid a stash of first-grade timber they believe was temporarily left behind by illegal loggers. facebook

Authorities in Ratanakkiri find stash of 160 pieces of timber

Authorities in Ratanakkiri province’s O’Chum district on Saturday commandeered 160 pieces of first-grade timber they stumbled upon.

They believe the timber was a collected stash that illegal loggers had hidden in the forest as they waited for rain to cease before transporting it out, said Chea Pich, the provincial prosecutor.

Pich said O’Chum district and Forestry Administration authorities were led by provincial deputy prosecutor Ra Bovandy to the haul, which they believed had been accumulated from various places inside the forest. They could not estimate its volume.

He said authorities are keeping the timber where it was discovered because rain had made transportation hazardous.

“We cannot take trucks to transport the wood due to the dangerous conditions, but we will continue to guard the timber until the Forestry Administration decides to act according to the Forestry Law."

“We have not identified the suspects who stockpiled the timber, but we are proceeding to investigate and trace them,” Pich said.

London-based Environmental Impact Assessment recently issued a series of reports that claimed Vietnamese offenders committed hundreds of millions of dollars’ worth of forest crimes in Cambodia.

However, it claimed that Cambodian authorities have failed to prosecute the perpetrators, leaving the Kingdom to lose hundreds of millions of dollars in state income annually.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will