Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Authorities to reclaim illegally seized land inside sanctuary

Authorities to reclaim illegally seized land inside sanctuary

Officials from the Ministry of Environment and the Kampong Speu Provincial Department of Environment in late January inspect a disputed area inside the Phnom Oral Wildlife Sanctuary. Photo supplied
Officials from the Ministry of Environment and the Kampong Speu Provincial Department of Environment in late January inspect a disputed area inside the Phnom Oral Wildlife Sanctuary. Photo supplied

Authorities to reclaim illegally seized land inside sanctuary

Kampong Speu provincial authorities on Friday said they will reclaim more than 2,000 hectares of land inside the Phnom Oral Wildlife Sanctuary, though six officials interrogated earlier this month for allegedly grabbing the land will only be “educated”.

Oral district deputy police chiefs Prak Moul and Morm An, Tasal Commune Chief Dul Sokhum, Doung Village Chief Orn Kong, Trapang Thmea Village Chief Y Doem and Kammpes Village Chief Sorn Vong were questioned earlier this month by Chheun Sothun, director of the provincial Environment Department, over the alleged illegal activity.

According to the summons, they were questioned over the “clearing, logging, burning and bulldozing [of] forest land for private ownership”.

Chea Hean, director of the Natural Resources and Wildlife Preservation Organization in Kampong Speu, told The Post previously that in 2014 and 2015 officials colluded to recruit some 200 families – paying them $250 to $300 each – to occupy the land, with authorities issuing ownership documents.

Once the families had obtained those documents, they then allegedly sold the land on to brokers, with some of the money going back to the officials behind the scheme.

A team was deployed to investigate in late January on the orders of provincial Governor Vei Samnang, who on Friday issued a letter to authorities asking them to revoke land ownership in the area immediately.

Samnang said people who claim to have ownership of the land have 30 days to file complaints about the seizure.

“Our target focuses on finding the people who damaged the forest and [for them to] pay for the damage,” he said. “If they show up, it’s better. We know who they are.”

Regarding the six officials who were questioned, Samnang referred questions to Sothun, with the Environment Department.

He said his office will make the seizure of the land known to residents in the area by installing billboards saying that it is under the department’s management. He added that a reforestation plan will also be carried out.

Officials he questioned earlier this month over their alleged involvement in the case would only be “educated”. He declined to comment on what other action would be taken against them, and denied accusations environmental officials were also involved in the scheme.

“They know this is the land inside the wildlife sanctuary,” he said.

“They [were] educated.”

According to Hean, such crimes cannot occur without the systematic involvement of officials from the local to the provincial level, including environmental officials.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Residents ordered to remove structures on Phnom Penh’s canal

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng has ordered authorities to act against the perpetrators who built houses along the Luo 5 canal in Meanchey district. The municipal administration plans to create a committee to solve the matter. The order was given on Wednesday while Sreng led

  • ‘On the offensive’: Cambodia to load up on loans to stimulate economy

    As the dust settles on the economy, Cambodia comes to grips with what needs to be done to turn the economy around, starting with a big shopping list for credit ‘We are going on the offensive,” Vongsey Vissoth, Ministry of Economy and Finance permanent secretary

  • Eighty replacement peacekeepers set for Mali mission despite Covid

    Eighty Cambodian blue helmet soldiers who completed the peacekeeping mission under the UN umbrella in Mali will return to Cambodia on Friday, said the Centre for Peacekeeping Forces spokeswoman Kosal Malida. “To protect their families and communities from the Covid-19 pandemic, the 80 are required to

  • Government set to make up for cancelled April holiday

    The government is set to make up for a five-day Khmer New Year holiday late this month or early next month. The holiday was earlier cancelled due to the onset of Covid-19. The announcement is expected on Friday as the government is studying a range

  • Families told to register for cash handouts

    The government has called on poor families to apply to commune authorities for evaluation to receive financial support during the Covid-19 crisis. A $300 million budget has been planned for implementation within a year. Ministry of Economy and Finance secretary of state Vongsey Visoth said this