Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Authorities seize counterfeit wines

Authorities seize counterfeit wines

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Anti-Counterfeit authorities in Banteay Meanchey province arrested three people in a crackdown on a business that allegedly produced counterfeit red wine. Khmerpart/facebook

Authorities seize counterfeit wines

The authorities have cracked down on a business allegedly producing counterfeit red wine in Banteay Meanchey province, arresting three people, while in a separate case, the Phnom Penh Municipal Court was questioning a suspect who was allegedly involved in the illegal production of cosmetic products.

The Ministry of Interior’s Anti-Counterfeit Products officers raided a business location called Tola Selling All Kinds of Wines in Banteay Meanchey province’s Poipet town on Wednesday, where they said red wine was being produced and packaged illegally.

Long Sreng, the deputy director of the Anti-Economic Crime Department at the Ministry of Interior, told The Post on Thursday that during the raid, police confiscated 248 cases – or 1,488 bottles – of red wine with the brand name Penlods, and 132 cases of red wine with 88 labels.

They also confiscated other cases and boxes which they said violated international copyright laws.

“We detained three people and will send them to court to face the law when we have finished our procedures,” he said.

Sreng said authorities from different institutions were cracking down on several other places that produce and package counterfeit products in Banteay Meanchey province, but he declined to disclose details as it would interfere with the investigation.

In a separate case, the owner of a Phnom Penh cosmetics production facility in Meanchey district’s Stung Meanchey commune was arrested and sent to court on Wednesday by anti-counterfeiting police officers.

A police report said they raided the business on Monday after discovering that its products were illegal. The police confiscated 14 kinds of cosmetics weighing a total of 2,532kg.

The report said the court was temporarily keeping the evidence and had taken samples to test the products for contamination.

Phnom Penh Municipal Court spokesperson Kuch Kimlong said the court was questioning the business owner and, as of Thursday evening, the prosecutor had not yet decided what to charge the suspect with.

“We just started questioning him on Thursday. Normally, such cases are settled with a fine. He may be allowed to go home after questioning. But the investigating judge would continue to look into it. Such cases are not so serious,” Kimlong said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Accused not treated equally, says CCHR

    The Cambodia Centre for Human Rights (CCHR) has urged the Court of Appeal to do more to ensure that an accused’s right to a fair trial is fully respected. In a bulletin released on Monday, the CCHR said it had monitored 273 cases at the

  • Investors’ $14.4M projects approved

    New investments from local and foreign sources continue to pour into Cambodia despite the Covid-19 pandemic remaining a lingering threat to regional and global economies. This comes as the Kingdom’s gross domestic product (GDP) is expected to contract between one and 2.9 per cent this

  • NagaWorld casinos set to reopen, schools to follow

    NAGACORP Ltd has requested that it be allowed to reopen its NagaWorld integrated resorts in Phnom Penh after the government recently approved casinos to operate again, provided they follow Covid-19 prevention measures set by the Ministry of Health. Mey Vann, the director-general of the Ministry

  • Rubber exports stretch 17%

    Cambodia exported 97,175 tonnes of natural rubber in the first five months of this year, surging 17 per cent compared to the same period last year as the Covid-19 pandemic stretches on, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries official Khuong Phalla told The Post on Thursday. Phalla,

  • ASEM supports Kingdom’s proposal to postpone meeting amid Covid

    The 13th Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM13) scheduled to be held in Cambodia in November has been postponed until mid-2021 due to the Covid-19 pandemic, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation press statement released on Saturday said. The decision was made during a two-day meeting

  • Coffee maker roasted for producing fake product

    The Ministry of Interior’s Counter Counterfeit Committee will send a suspect to court on Monday after she allegedly roasted coffee mixed with soybeans and other ingredients, creating a product which could pose a high risk to consumers’ health. On the afternoon of July 2, the

  • Cash handout programme 80% complete

    Minister of Social Affairs, Veterans and Youth Rehabilitation Vong Soth confirmed on Thursday that the implementation of the Cash Transfer Programme For Poor and Vulnerable Households During Covid-19 had been implemented for more than 80% of the over 560,000 families. The programme was introduced one week ago.

  • Cambodia armed with money laundering laws

    Money laundering will now carry a penalty of up to five years in prison while those convicted of financing terrorists will be jailed for up to 20 years, according to new laws promulgated by King Norodom Sihamoni and seen by The Post on Thursday. Comprising nine

  • Where is Cambodia’s exit strategy that can save the economy?

    With the prospect of being slammed by a double whammy, the government is working on an economic recovery plan to deliver it from Covid-19 and the EU’s partial withdrawal of the Everything But Arms scheme in the next two to three years Cambodia is

  • Schools to be reopened in ‘three stages’

    With guidance from Prime Minister Hun Sen, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, is in the process of reopening schools in three stages. But no timeline has been set, ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha said on Thursday. Soveacha said the first stage will be to