Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Authorities still waiting for word on Lao project



Authorities still waiting for word on Lao project

A motorcyclist drives a passenger across the Laos-Cambodia border in Stung Treng province in 2013.
A motorcyclist drives a passenger across the Laos-Cambodia border in Stung Treng province in 2013. Hong Menea

Authorities still waiting for word on Lao project

Police and military officials in Stung Treng province’s Thala Barivat district said they are still awaiting a response after requesting a meeting with their Laotian counterparts to discuss the construction of a military base by Lao armed forces near a still-undemarcated stretch of the border.

Ek Syvanndorn, the province’s deputy police chief in charge of border affairs, said that while the police and military were on alert all last week, the situation remained calm given that both countries were celebrating the New Year holidays.

However, he added that “our Laotian counterparts have not responded to our diplomatic note, and we want to set up a meeting but cannot decide the time”.

Police and military officials were put on alert after the Lao armed forces began work on a new military base in what they claim is part of Laos’ Champasak province.

On April 1, Laotian trucks, which were using Cambodia’s National Road 7 to move building materials, were blocked from the disputed area.

“They cannot do anything in the disputed area,” said Syvanndorn. Attempts by provincial authorities requesting that Champasak’s governor cease construction of the base were also met with no success.

Chum Sounry, spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said yesterday that he had yet to receive any update from provincial authorities.

“Such problems with border affairs will be resolved by the local authorities,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said