Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bail granted to ‘protesters’ arrested at overpass

Bail granted to ‘protesters’ arrested at overpass

Two alleged protesters arrested during violence at the Kbal Thnal overpass are brought into court on September 16
Two alleged protesters arrested during violence at the Kbal Thnal overpass are brought into court on September 16. PHA LINA

Bail granted to ‘protesters’ arrested at overpass

All six civilians charged in connection with the September clashes at the Kbal Thnal overpass have been granted bail, a rights monitor said yesterday.

Four of them were released from Prey Sar prison yesterday and two are set to be released today, Licadho technical supervisor Am Sam Ath said.

“We were surprised with the release, because the lawyers did not know anything, even though they filed for bail on September 30,” he said.

“But we welcome their release and urge the court to consider dropping the charges against these men.”

On the first night of the opposition party’s three-day mass demonstration, clashes broke out at the overpass between police and residents angry at being blocked from crossing the bridge. Over the course of several hours, the violence escalated, with riot police fighting back at rock-throwers using electric prods, batons, gas canisters and, eventually, live ammunition. One man was fatally shot and multiple people injured, though a promised police investigation has yet to yield any perpetrators.

The six men were detained at the scene of the clashes and charged a day later with intentional violence and damage to public property. Their lawyers maintain there is little to link them to the incident.

Suos Sam Ath, investigating judge on the case, could not be reached for comment.

Taing Ny, whose 18-year-old son Tang Chung Seang is among those charged, said she was looking forward to seeing her son return to high school and stressed his innocence.

“For certain he did not join that demonstration that night. He was coming to get me, because I was stuck at the overpass after I left my market stall for the evening. My son came to find me, then he was arrested,” she said. “His case should be dropped.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Government hits back at threats to pull EBA, suspend UN seat

    The spokesman for the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) has said the government is in no way concerned after the European Parliament gave it three months to reverse what it called the “systematic repression of the political opposition”. Ignoring the ultimatum could mean facing

  • Chinese influx pushing locals, Westerners out of Preah Sihanouk

    Some within the Kingdom’s tourism industry have speculated that the recent influx of Chinese visitors may hinder domestic tourism as the price of accommodations in the coastal city of Sihanoukville continues to rise. Preah Sihanouk province, which has become a hotbed for Chinese investment

  • Sar Kheng: Sokha requested security

    Interior Minister Sar Kheng on Sunday revealed the story behind the transfer of former opposition party leader Kem Sokha from Trapaing Phlong prison in Tbong Khmum province to his house in the capital. Speaking at the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) headquarters in Prey

  • Chinese living in Kingdom more than doubles since ’17

    The number of Chinese nationals living in Cambodia this year has increased to more than 210,000. The figure rose from last year’s 100,000, the newly appointed Secretary of State Sok Phal confirmed yesterday. He said: “Of the 210,000, more than 78,000 are living in Preah Sihanouk [province], but