Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bail for Kratie land activists

Bail for Kratie land activists

Bail for Kratie land activists

120608_05

The father of Heng Chantha, a 14-year-old girl who was shot dead by security forces last month in Kratie province, stands near his daughter’s grave in Pro Ma village earlier this week. Photograph: David Boyle/Phnom Penh Post

Five of the eight villagers arrested during a bloody crackdown last month on what the government alleged was a secessionist movement in Kratie province are out on bail.

A 14-year-old girl was shot dead when security forces fired automatic weapons on residents of Pro Ma village in Chhlong district’s Kampong Damrei village in an operation the villagers allege was actually a forced eviction.

Chuk Nguon, an investigating judge at Kratie Provincial court, said five men, Hang Phal, Sa Roeun Rom, Pum Vannak, Heng Thoeun and Mao Veasna, were released on May 31 because their alleged offences were not serious.

“The five villagers did not mastermind provoking an illegal riot; they were forced by the ringleaders of Bun Ratha to become members,” he said.

Bun Ratha is the alleged leader of Democratic Alliance, which authorities have accused of trying to create an autonomous zone. Bun Ratha has repeatedly argued he was merely helping villagers file for land titles.

Chuk Nguon said the other men arrested – Touch Riem, Kan Sovann and Heng Thoeun – remained in custody, charged with serious offences such as provoking a riot against public authorities and cheating.

Chan Soveth, a senior investigator for the rights group Adhoc, said the bail decision had come as a shock and that not even the men’s defence lawyer had been informed.

“We do not know whether they [those released on bail] were pressured and threatened or forced to make agreements for their release, and so far we are not aware where they are hiding,” he said.

Hok Phalla, a lawyer from Adhoc representing the men, confirmed the release and that he had posted the bail for his clients because they were not accused of a serious crime.

A combined force of about 1,000 police, military police and soldiers assisted by a helicopter stormed Pro Ma village on May 16, fired at villages with AK-47’s and evicted about 200 families from the area.

The villagers have a land dispute with the firm Casotim, which has a 15,000-hectare economic land concession about 15 kilometres away and a dormant, 124,000-hectare logging concession that includes Pro Ma village.

To contact the reporter on this story: May Titthara at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Historic’ Khmer Rouge tribunal Case 002/2 verdict to be delivered

    The Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) are to deliver the verdict on Friday, in the trial of former Khmer Rouge leaders Nuon Chea and Khieu Samphan, in a pronouncement hailed as a “historic event for Cambodia and the world”. The verdict from

  • ‘No more Khmer Rouge leaders left to stand trial’

    Friday's verdict in the trial of former Khmer Rouge leaders Nuon Chea and Khieu Samphan has been hailed as “historic” for “Cambodia and all humanity”, while Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said no further cases of its kind would be brought to court. “There are

  • Hun Sen slams opposition lawyer for ‘incompetence’

    A defence lawyer for the opposition on Wednesday defended their “legalism” after Prime Minister Hun Sen slammed them as “incompetent” and “unqualified”, telling them to listen to and analyse what he said before making statements about a “bet”. Once again on Wednesday Hun Sen spoke

  • Chinese driver attacked after damaging vehicles

    Villagers in Sihanoukville’s Commune 4 on Saturday attacked a Chinese man for causing an accident involving two cars and many motorcycles, while the suspect tried to escape. Preah Sihanouk provincial traffic office director Prom Pov identified the suspect as “Zhear Ming Luy”, 16. The suspect hit