Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bandith trial ends with prosecutor accusing two



Bandith trial ends with prosecutor accusing two

Bandith trial ends with prosecutor accusing two

The final day of former Bavet town governor Chhouk Bandith’s trial on Friday saw heated argument between lawyers and witnesses over who was responsible for shootings that injured three garment factory workers at a demonstration last year.

More than 20 witnesses testified during the three days of hearings, with a former deputy commune police chief telling the Svay Rieng court on Thursday that he saw his former boss shoot at workers.

Svay Rieng Provincial Court Judge Leang Sour said a verdict will be announced on June 25.

On Friday, lawyers for Sar Chantha, the Bavet town police chief who was also charged with the shootings, argued that pro-Bandith witnesses had given false testimony, Community Legal Education Center’s labour head Mouen Tola said.

Lawyers for the three victims – Buot Chenda, Keo Near and Nuth Sakhorn – argued the same, said Tola, who observed proceedings.

“The lawyers argued that [the witnesses’] testimony to the police, to the prosecutor, and to the investigating judge were all different,” he told the Post.

Tola added that the prosecutor said in his concluding remarks that it appeared both Bandith and Chantha had unintentionally injured the workers as charged.

 “He said Chhouk Bandith might have injured Buot Chenda and Keo Near, [while] Sar Chantha might have injured Nuth Sakhorn.”

In an unprecedented decision, the Appeal Court in March ordered the provincial court to try Bandith; and re-charged him after charges were dropped by the lower court with scant explanation last December.

Bandith did not attend the trial and his lawyer walked out of the court on the first day of proceedings citing a technical error in court documents.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants