Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Banned Chut Wutty film screened in capital

Banned Chut Wutty film screened in capital

People watch a screening of I Am Chut Wutty at Phnom Penh Solidarity House last night.
People watch a screening of I Am Chut Wutty at Phnom Penh Solidarity House last night. Lay Samean

Banned Chut Wutty film screened in capital

Despite a government ban, a documentary about Chut Wutty was screened at several locations around Phnom Penh yesterday to mark the fourth anniversary of the environmentalist’s murder – but not without some interference.

The Ministry of Culture last week ordered the managers of the Meta House Café not to show the film on the grounds that the film had not been submitted for approval.

However, in the city’s Sen Sok district yesterday, Solidarity House, home to a group of NGOs, hosted a Khmer-language screening attended by director Fran Lambrick and Cheuy Oddom Reaksmey, Chut Wutty’s son.

The event had been advertised on the film’s official Facebook page.

District authorities had visited earlier in the day to enquire about the screening of I Am Chut Wutty, according to Sor Mory, president of the Cambodia Youth Network, which helped to organise the event.

Thirty minutes into the film, the police returned. Sak Chan Kannarith, the deputy district chief, demanded an end to the film, citing a lack of permission, but Mory negotiated to allow the film to finish.

Mory said he had been summoned to the police station today because he had not obtained permission from the local authorities nor the Ministry of Culture to screen the film. But he maintained the event was legal.

“They had no right to shut us down – this is a private place.”

The film was also screened yesterday by the Flicks movie house at an undisclosed location and the NGO CCHR at its offices for staff only and made available online to watch free.

Lambrick said the ministry’s ban had only furthered the film’s message. “I think it’s made it more powerful,” she said. “So many people have seen it because of the ban.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials