Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Barred Khmer-Australian politician vows to return



Barred Khmer-Australian politician vows to return

Khmer-Australian politician Hong Lim speaks during a 2012 cultural event in Victoria, Australia. Photo supplied
Khmer-Australian politician Hong Lim speaks during a 2012 cultural event in Victoria, Australia. Photo supplied

Barred Khmer-Australian politician vows to return

Cambodian-born Australian politician Hong Lim, banned from Cambodia by the Foreign Ministry for critical comments about the Kingdom’s government, has vowed to return regardless of being declared a “persona non grata”.

Though not fixing a date, Lim, a member of the Victorian state parliament, made the pledge in a speech posted online yesterday in which he hit back at his detractors in the Cambodian government.

The politician was accused by government spokesman Phay Siphan of insulting Cambodia’s monarchy and its people by calling the Kingdom’s regime a “beast” in an interview about political analyst Kem Ley’s murder.

In the clip, Lim once again dismissed such a characterisation of his remarks. He took aim squarely at the government and Prime Minister Hun Sen – whose administration, he said, had evicted people from their homes, plundered natural resources and even “shot people” – but not the monarchy, he said. If anyone could be accused of insulting the King, it was Hun Sen, Lim said.

“This guy is bad man, when it comes to insulting the King no one is stronger than him.”

Also yesterday, it emerged that so-called student activist Srey Chamroeun, who led pro-CPP rallies to publicise opposition leader Kem Sokha’s alleged infidelity, has applied to City Hall for permission to protest at the airport should Lim return to Cambodia.

City Hall spokesman Mean Chanyada said no decision had been made on the application.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said