Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - B'bang executions detailed



B'bang executions detailed

B'bang executions detailed

GRIM details were uncovered last week of the alleged extra-judicial killings of four

Funcinpec soldiers during February's factional showdown in Battambang.

Funcinpec sources insist that CPP commander Chim Pheuy ordered the summary executions

of five Funcinpec soldiers. They also claim that a sole survivor fears for his life

and has been taken to former governor Serey Kosal's home for protection.

CPP officials maintain that an inquiry is underway, but do not deny that the brutal

killings took place.

According to testimony from survivor Sun Peo to human rights investigators, he and

four other Funcinpec soldiers were led to shallow pits in the forest on the evening

of Feb 12, forced to kneel and were shot into them. Peo says that he pretended to

be dead after surviving four bullet wounds and clawed his way out after the executioners

left who had buried him.

A human-rights report obtained by the Post lists the dead as: Mao Noy, Pich Saroeun,

Sok Chea, and Lon Chandara. Peo said that they were led into the forest of Rattanak

Mondol district about 25 km northwest of Battambang after refusing to engage fellow

Funcinpec soldiers.

According to Battambang chief of police Vorn Chhunly (Fun), the group was part of

80 Funcinpec soldiers serving with the CPP-commanded unit. He claims that they were

ordered to fight Funcinpec troops in Thmar Kuol district, but refused.

"Of course Chim Pheuy killed them, because they did not obey his order,"

he said. "They didn't want bloodshed with members of their own party."

The five were immediately handcuffed by five of commander Pheuy's bodyguards when

they took off their uniforms and said they wanted to quit the military, the human-rights

report said.

Peo testified that the group were led to a remote location where two soldiers were

carrying hoes and the five holes had been dug.

The five were forced to kneel at the holes and five soldiers carrying guns stood

behind them waiting for the order from commander Pheuy to fire, Peo told human rights

investigators.

The soldiers fired when Pheuy ordered them, but Pheuy himself shot Peo once in the

neck, once in the waist and twice in the arm with a K59 pistol, the report says.

He testified that he climbed out of the hole and ran through the forest to a village

where he was transported by oxcart to CMAC which drove him to the hospital in Battambang.

He was later taken to former governor Serey Kosal's house fearing for his life, according

to Battambang third deputy governor Sou Gakarya (Fun).

Nam Tum (CPP), Second deputy governor of Battambang province said it is not yet clear

who is responsible for the deaths.

"This story is very difficult. I don't know how to say it because it is confusing,"

he said.

But Gakarya confirmed the incident and insists Chim Pheuy masterminded the killings.

"That is true Mr Pheuy attempted to kill Sun Peo by himself," Gakarya said,

"the killing is for political reasons only, it is not related to any personal

problem."

Ho Sok (Funcinpec), Secretary of State for the Ministry of Interior said the incident

is being investigated by a government committee including: co-Ministers of Interior

Sar Kheng and You Hockry, defense minister Tea Banh, general chief of staff Ke Kim

Yan and deputy chief of staff Nhek Bunchhay.

"The committee has investigated, but found nothing so far," says Battambang

deputy chief of police Mik Dara (CPP)

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and