Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Beating’ of driver led to death: family

‘Beating’ of driver led to death: family

‘Beating’ of driver led to death: family

The family of a truck driver and garment worker who died yesterday morning after allegedly being beaten by a security guard over a parking dispute at the Quint Major Industrial factory in Kandal province’s Ang Snuol district appealed for justice yesterday.

But police said they determined that Sok Kinin, 25, had died from “apoplexy” resulting from a cerebral hemorrhage.

Sim Heang, 53, Kinin’s mother, said her son had pulled up at the factory as usual at about 6pm on Monday evening to collect workers at the end of their shift.

However, on this day, security guards at the factory allegedly approached Kinin and ordered him to leave the area because he was causing congestion.

“I don’t know what happened to my son, because he went straight to sleep when he returned home from work without telling me. But my other son, who was with Kinin, told me the security guards beat him and shocked him with an electric baton,” she said.

Heang added that she found her son dead in his room at about 12:40am yesterday morning.

Sok Yangkou, Kinin’s 16-year-old brother who was in the truck when the alleged attack took place, said five security guards had taken part in the beating and used an electric baton to apply shocks to Kinin’s head and shoulder.

Yangkou said that Kinin exited the truck to explain to the guards that he would only be parked for a short time.

“After that, they had an argument and the guards called to their colleagues and they beat my brother.

He tried to escape and hide in the truck, but they followed him and used their electric baton to shock my brother on the neck,” he added.

A worker at the factory who witnessed the alleged attack backed up the family’s claims yesterday, although the QMI employee stressed that she was not qualified to judge whether the beating had caused Kinin’s death.

Mean Samnang, the district police chief, said that he had yet to receive a formal complaint from the victim’s family.

“The authorities already examined the dead body and we found that he died from apoplexy,” he said, adding that if a complaint was filed he would investigate.

Hin Soklina, a spokesman for the factory, declined to comment.


  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Actress’s NGO takes heat for promoting the ruling party

    An actress’s NGO which participated in an election campaign event contrary to the Law on Association and Non-Governmental Organisations (Lango) has been slammed. Chorn Chanleakena, a celebrity and the president of the Association of Artists Volunteering to Help Society, allegedly led its members in

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not