Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Border calm as truce agreed; high-level talks to resume soon

Border calm as truce agreed; high-level talks to resume soon

Border calm as truce agreed; high-level talks to resume soon

FM expresses hope that negotiations will resolve crisis

CAMBODIAN and Thai military commanders have pledged to avoid violence along the border despite the limited progress made by their governments, whose talks on disputed areas of the frontier have been stalled for more than a month. 

"We signed an agreement not to use military force along the border in the provinces in Cambodia controlled by Military Region 5 and the provinces in Thailand controlled by its Military Region 1," regional deputy military commander Ek Sam On told the Post by phone Sunday.

Military Region 5 covers Pursat, Battambang and Banteay Meanchey provinces, as well as Pailin municipality - areas that saw heavy fighting throughout much of the 1980s and 1990s.

"We have to avoid armed confrontation. If we have any problem, we will raise the issue and solve it by exchanging information," Ek Sam On said.

He said that during a meeting in Thailand last Wednesday and Thursday with his counterparts, the only objection he raised was against a recent incident in which Thai soldiers confronted Cambodian troops stationed at O'Plok Damrey in Pursat province and demanded they remove the border fence there and withdraw.

"I informed them about this  because we want to prevent small confrontations from spreading into larger conflicts," Ek Sam On said.

Otherwise, calm has returned to the border regions occupied by soldiers, according to officers stationed at the major flashpoints, Preah Vihear, Anlong Veng and Ta Krabey.

Bilateral talks again

Cambodian Foreign Minister Hor Namhong said Friday that Cambodia would continue to engage in bilateral talks following the formation of a new government in Thailand.

"I hope we get back to meeting soon and resolve the border dispute through peaceful bilateral talks before we have to take the issue to the international court," Hor Namhong told reporters last week in Phnom Penh.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY VONG  SOKHENG

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman