Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Borei Keila families fear crackdown in works

Borei Keila families fear crackdown in works

Borei Keila families fear crackdown in works

As dusk settled yesterday on Borei Keila – where dozens of families on Monday stormed into and occupied developer Phan Imex’s unfinished Building 9 – community members milled about restlessly in an act of vigilance not unlike circling the wagons.

Fears of a coming crackdown had been stoked at an earlier meeting where Phnom Penh Governor Pa Socheatvong yesterday warned the families now occupying the half-built structure at the Borei Keila development site that authorities could not be held responsible if “any problem occurred” there, according to community members and City Hall itself.

The meeting between Socheatvong and representatives of the families – who took up residence in Building 9 as an act of protest against smaller-than-promised temporary resettlement plots – was ultimately fruitless.

Though it touched upon the issue of temporary plots, it also drew Borei Keila representatives’ ire for leaving out key sticking points like the size of the plots, and when community members could expect to receive the permanent apartments they had been promised in 2003 and 2004.

“He raised the issue of the temporary shelters for us, but when will we get flats or a real solution? Or will we live in temporary shelters like this forever?” community representative Prum Siha said.

Borei Keila representative Sar Sorn said yesterday that there were no guarantees that the temporary shelters wouldn’t simply become trash-strewn shanty-towns like the community’s current ad hoc relocation site.

“We’re concerned that the temporary shelters that authorities plan to build for us will become slums and be cleared again [by authorities] without compensating [residents],” she said, calling for the permanent flats promised in 2003 and 2004.

Though City Hall was silent yesterday on how they planned to deal with the occupiers, Prampi Makara district governor Som Sovann hinted at a crackdown, issuing a warning letter to the community saying the district was “preparing a plan for administrative measures”, but without offering a timeframe.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • Bun Heang mocks US, threatens its citizens in scathing open letter

    After being hit with sanctions from the US Department of Treasury, Cambodian General Hing Bun Heang said he would retaliate against any US national who does not respect his country’s sovereignty, has ambitions to invade Cambodia or incites “traitors” in the Kingdom to do

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,