Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Boy appeals verdict in rape of three-year-old



Boy appeals verdict in rape of three-year-old

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Appeal Court. Post Pix

Boy appeals verdict in rape of three-year-old

The Appeal Court on Wednesday heard the case of a 14-year-old boy who was sentenced in early 2017 to three years behind bars for the rape of a three-year-old girl the previous year in the capital’s Tuol Kork district.

Held behind closed doors, the hearing was presided over by Judge In Vanvibol and attended by the victim and her father, as well as the appellant’s mother.

After the hearing, Sin Chantha, the boy’s mother, quoted the victim’s father as telling the judge that he had found out about the rape after giving the girl a shower and noticing blood on her legs.

His daughter told him she had been raped by the boy, who lived next door.

“The girl’s father told the judges that although he did not witness the rape with his own eyes, he asked the court to uphold the guilty verdict,” Chantha said.

She said that before the incident in August 2016, her family had rented a room in Tuol Kork district’s Tuol Kork commune and befriended the victim’s family, who lived in an adjacent room.

The incident, she said, occurred while she and her husband were away working in construction, leaving the boy alone.

On returning home, they found that the young girl’s father had alleged their son had raped his daughter and filed a complaint with Military Police.

The boy was initially sent to the municipal Department of Social Affairs, Veterans and Youth Rehabilitation as he was a minor.

The Military Police, however, referred the case to the municipal court after the social affairs department refused to accept the boy.

“A truckload of Military Police officers came to arrest my son and detained him for two days. Then they asked my husband to thumbprint a document saying my son had confessed to the rape. But my husband refused because he couldn’t verify if he had actually admitted to the rape,” Chanta said.

She said the municipal court sentenced her son in early 2017 to three years in prison and ordered the family pay 12 million riel ($3,000) in compensation to the girl’s family.

However, the court has not imprisoned her son because he is a juvenile, she said.

Maintaining his innocence, the boy’s mother called on the Appeal Court to overturn the guilty verdict. She cited the result of a medical examination used during the hearing that showed no semen had been found on the victim’s genitals.

Defence lawyer Ken Vibol also called on the court to quash the sentence handed down to the 14-year-old, who had been learning to repair motorbikes at a local NGO in Phnom Penh.

The Appeal Court will announce its verdict on July 19.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said